puw 60 ratchet wheel would not turn

Hi Watchmakers,

I got a puw 60 what I cleaned and would not run because the left handed ratchet wheel screw is pushing down the ratchet wheel and locks it. As it cannot move the movement would not run. This is how I received it, originally i thought that it is just dirty so I cleaned it. (interestingly the ultrasonic bath removed the nickel/chrome -never could make the difference- plating at many places) What am I missing here? A washer? Or something else?

Best regards,

Lui

IMG_20200703_154236.thumb.jpg.0ed2b271d6de914146de109ec8f14773.jpg

4 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Maybe the ratchet wheel is upside down. 

Unfortunately not, i was thinking of that, but the ratchet wheel has a recess so the screw could center it and the wheel should be able to turn around it. Now that I see the picture it is actually upside down but it is just because i put it back for the picture and did not pay attention.

Edited by luiazazrambo

28 minutes ago, luiazazrambo said:

I got a puw 60 what I cleaned and would not run because the left handed ratchet wheel screw is pushing down the ratchet wheel and locks it.

What you have circled in the picture is the crown wheel and screw. The screw should have a shoulder section to keep it distanced, or a (lost) washer was used there.

(interestingly the ultrasonic bath removed the nickel/chrome

That is why I wash with petroleum only and IPA only, by hand. And mild ammonia only if there are brass / gilted parts.
Then every other thread we read about beginners (but not only) getting fixated on on machines and commercial solutions.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

Crown wheel of course.... screw has no shoulder probably the washer was then lost. 

I am learning... very slowly... went to bed 4:15 this morning. I was shocked by the result after the cleaning i guess i must pay the price of the knowledge. Very painful so far and not much knowledge gained, well to my former myself i go with lightspeed but it is just not enough and they say there is no 2 x lightspeed. :D

• Like 1

Just took a look and PUW movements in general has a crown wheel with a small bearing. And by the looks of your ratchet screw I would say it is missing the small bearing and is upside down.
I just pop a picture on a common PUW ratchet wheel here so you can see what it might look like. 

IMG_20200703_180516.thumb.jpg.ed79fb8ccef9433035ba8cf4973c59a3.jpg

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, HSL said:

Just took a look and PUW movements in general has a crown wheel with a small bearing. And by the looks of your ratchet screw I would say it is missing the small bearing and is upside down.
I just pop a picture on a common PUW ratchet wheel here so you can see what it might look like. 

IMG_20200703_180516.thumb.jpg.ed79fb8ccef9433035ba8cf4973c59a3.jpg

I definitely don't have that bearing ring, and yes it is upside down because i put it back for the picture and did not pay attention for the details. I made it difficult to help me. 

Unfortunately I am out of this part for the PUW 60, but there are a couple of PUW movements using the same.

Kronradring 422 (60) , PUW 60, PUW 61, PUW 61S, PUW 63, PUW 65

If you sometime in the feature would need another bearing I have Kronradring 422 (70) for PUW 70, PUW 73, PUW 80, PUW 260, PUW 261, PUW1260, PUW 1261, PUW 560, PUW 561, PUW 562, PUW 563T, PUW 564T, PUW 565T, PUW1560, PUW 1561, PUW 1562, PUW 1563T, PUW 1564T, PUW 561E, PUW 562E. PUW 1561E, PUW 1562E ;) 

• Like 1

Pforzheimer Uhren-Rohwerke GmbH

So still learning, this was the first time i touched an incabloc setting, i must say it was a delight to deal with it not like those other once in the CAL 400 causing me nightmares (little ring with 3 spikes 120 degree apart from each other). I go for a double treasure hunt now, picking up clocks and doing metal detecting if the weather and other conditions allow me.

That yellow section under the balance assembly is one of the places where the coating was removed by the ultrasonic clean, luckily its my own watch. :)

Edited by luiazazrambo
adding extra info

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

This movement was sitting on my desk for a long time. I finally ordered a few things from CousinsUK, a bearing included. I was so happy but not for long, I lost the cannon pinion meanwhile.... I cant find it anywhere. All of the other parts were in the container, but the cannon pinion is gone. The carpet must have it, or the hoover. 

IMG_0021.thumb.JPG.27638c2d0d14ae945bed3fe01d195745.JPG

IMG_0022.thumb.JPG.296c28019bf73ae2207b1279d3e116fa.JPG

5 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

This movement was sitting on my desk for a long time. I finally ordered a few things from CousinsUK, a bearing included. I was so happy but not for long, I lost the cannon pinion meanwhile.... I cant find it anywhere. All of the other parts were in the container, but the cannon pinion is gone. The carpet must have it, or the hoover.

Well, search the carpet - each square centimeter. As for the Hoover - you will have to empty the bag and perform "search & rescue" to get your cannon pinion back. You will not be the first one to go through such unpleasant task... Good luck!