Quartz movement run slow

14 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

@rodabod  Aprox 2 minutes/ hr slow.

I'd watch the seconds hand for a few minutes and see if you observe it ever stuttering.

Of course, the easy option is if you have a quartz measurement tool, but most of us don't own one.

• Thanks 1

There is always the possibility of a faulty Block  but they either work or dont work,  Unless you have an analyser or some method of testing the module ie current consumption its difficult, High consumption is usually a dirty mech drawing more current to over come the dirt.

2 min per day is indicative of a sluggish train,  Whats the calibre number

Thank you watchweasol, I am not yet sure if I should crack the back open. must have a quartz eta inside. Will ask you for datasheet if it gets to clean and lube. 

The watch is a friend's who didn't know, I am quartz ignorant.

Hi Nucejoe  A quartz watch is no different than a mechanical one  apart from the fact the Battery provides the voltage/current the block interprets this, The crystal vibrates around 32,768 times a second the block divides this down to normaly one pulse a second which is output to the coil which causes the step motor to pulse once, this turns the gear train and then the hands.  Some watches pulse once every 4 secs  or 6 secs depending on the make.  As the current drawn is in micro amps it doesnt take much to affect the module ie dirt and old oil or even the wrong oil should be  9024 and 9027.  The attachment explains both the mechanical and the quartz.      regards

Witschi Training Course.pdf

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Nucejoe  A quartz watch is no different than a mechanical one  apart from the fact the Battery provides the voltage/current the block interprets this, The crystal vibrates around 32,768 times a second the block divides this down to normaly one pulse a second which is output to the coil which causes the step motor to pulse once, this turns the gear train and then the hands.  Some watches pulse once every 4 secs  or 6 secs depending on the make.  As the current drawn is in micro amps it doesnt take much to affect the module ie dirt and old oil or even the wrong oil should be  9024 and 9027.  The attachment explains both the mechanical and the quartz.      regards

Witschi Training Course.pdf 4.65 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you WW,  the minute hand completes each forward move by one second on dial markings with each pulse. 

10 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Thank you WW,  the minute hand completes each forward move by one second on dial markings with each pulse. 

But, it's dropping seconds somewhere.... When I say "stuttering", what I basically mean is, is the motion irregular in any way?

• Thanks 1

Hi    when the block is calculating the pulses it uses a thing called inhibition and if the checksum is not right it either adds or drops a pulse to automaticaly correct the calculated error ,  so there is the remote possibility the block circuit is faulty in its calculations. But these circuits either work or dont work they are that reliable but one should not discount the possibility.  If it were me I would clean and oil the movement and re run any tests using the analyser, Not having an analyser use a analogue meter and watch the coil pulses for a regular beat or just run the watch and observe the timing.

• Thanks 1