Softening old plastic watch straps?

Hello everyone.

I'm hoping that someone on this forum will be able to give me some tips on how to soften old plastic watch straps.

I have an old Timex Diver watch that I have just got going again, thanks to the help from very knowledgable members on this forum, and was wondering if anyone has had any success in softening old plastic straps. I know that old rubber parts can be softened by dipping the rubber part in white spirit and placing in a sealed plastic bag for a couple of hours but I don't think this will work with plastic.

The strap on my Timex Diver is the original strap and it would be nice if it could be softened up a bit, but I do not want to risk damaging it. I could always take the original off and keep it safely and fit a new strap that is in keeping with the original, something like a Tropical strap, but I would prefer to use the original if possible.

So, has anyone had any success softening old plastic watch straps?

Any advice will be most gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Grae

Timex Diver 1973.JPG

Timex new bezel and winding stem:crown.JPG

41 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Unfortunatly when plastics and rubber denature over time as the oils leech out . I use a plasticiser on my fly lines to recondition the surface PVC  maybe that would improve the strap. Its available at fishing tackle store or on line

Thank you watchweasol, I will pop into the fishing tackle shop next time I'm in town and see what they have.

A friend told me that vaseline works but it didn't. It just left a greasy mess for me to clean up.

If anyone else has any tips, they would be gratefully received!

Many thanks, Grae

I've never really been sold on any of the plastic softening tricks as much more than very temporary and illusory. The problem with plastics is that you've got these HUGE hydrocarbon chains with a gagillion bonds. Lots and lots of failure points. Over time, things like UV, chemicals in the environment, and good ol' time itself break the bonds here and there, and the damage adds up. That's why plastics get brittle, or chalky, or whatever other failure mode you like. Most of the softening techniques only break the bonds further, but are themselves inserted into the matrix as a lubricant... until they make their way back out and you're lucky if you're back where you started.

Depending on the actual plastic in this strap, you may or may not have many options, but realistically likely not. I would try to figure out what kind of plastic you're dealing with in the event there is a way to soften it without further damage. I also wouldn't get my hopes up for any long term improvement.

Edited by spectre6000