Help me spot a fake

Hello,

I have recently come across a deal on eBay

"to good to be true"

so I think it's a fake.  But I bid anyway, of course, because I had convinced myself it was a genuine item, but now I think it's fake.

Anyway the watch I'm looking at is here (ePID 26031091922),

at first I thought everything looks great, and I bid on it (max 750 CDN).  Concerned the seller has 0 feedback, it's a private sale, and the caseback is somewhat suspicious?  It ends in five days, I'd rather report the item and try to cancel my bid if it's fake, but purchase it if it's real.

Anyway, now my biggest problem, is that I have finally noticed there should be 4 lines of text on the dial

"Seamaster
Professional
Chronometer
300m/1000ft"

And this watch is missing the word "chronometer".  So, is it just a cheaper non-certified version?  Is there such a thing?

I see the 2264.50 is a quartz movement which does not have the word chronometer, and I am also concerned this watch I have bid on is the 2264.50 quartz instead of the 2254.50 automatic, even though the eBay listing declares the watch is automatic.

I have also noticed the ePID is pre-filled for a blue dial Seamaster, so perhaps the seller put the wrong product information and this is a quartz model?  I will contact the seller about this issue as well.

Well I think that you are right and it is the quartz version...While i know nothing about Omega Seamasters, comparing the full set of pictures on eBay with 'real' ones on the net, it looks to be either the real thing or a very good copy. The only thing that looks slightly different is that the dial loom in the seller's pictures looks very flat compared to this 'real' one...

SBh5Iul.jpg

and the end link number '930' appears lazer engraved rather than stamped in, as on this 'real' one....

3nt8iUZ.jpg

• Thanks 1

If it is 'the real thing', quartz 2264.50, then your CDN$750 bid is a snip at about a third of the current retail price from a dealer, but if it is a really good 'replica' then it is probably only 'worth' about half that (to someone that wants a 'replica').

The 'flat' looking lume could be attributed to the lighting when the seller took the pictures and the stamped end links might only be on the much more expensive 2254.50 chronometer..... As I said before I know nothing about these watches, hopefully someone on here with practical experience of them will chime in and give their opinion.....

Edited by JohnD

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

If it is 'the real thing', quartz 2264.50, then your CDN$750 bid is a snip at about a third of the current retail price from a dealer, but if it is a really good 'replica' then it is probably only 'worth' about half that (to someone that wants a 'replica').

The 'flat' looking lume could be attributed to the lighting when the seller took the pictures and the stamped end links might only be on the much more expensive 2254.50 chronometer..... As I said before I know nothing about these watches, hopefully someone on here with practical experience of them will chime in and give their opinion.....

I agree completely John that 750 is a good deal no matter what.  It's actually going for under 700 right now.

I can't bring myself to spend that money on a quartz watch though.  I hate to do this to the seller but I will have to report the item as being listed incorrectly and hope I can retract the bid.  And a counterfeit is something I am just not interested in at all.

I am hoping that an Omega expert will come across this post and clear everything up.

How about this? Store witten Guarntee, free domestic shipping, one day return option. Owner asking less than three hundered box.  Should I buy it?

8478026_1590594277_120.jpg

8478026_1590594191_618.jpg

8478026_1590594249_322.jpg

Edited by Nucejoe
there is a rush of omega for sale

2 hours ago, eric9000k said:

I have just been outbid :bow:

Lesson... not .. learned.

I could have predicted that. With the amount of time left on the auction there was no way that your bid of CDN$750 would win it. I recon the final bid will be at least twice that........;)

On 7/3/2020 at 12:57 AM, JohnD said:

I could have predicted that. With the amount of time left on the auction there was no way that your bid of CDN$750 would win it. I recon the final bid will be at least twice that........;)

Well it didn't make CDN$1500 but CDN$1325 was fairly 'respectable'......