Case for Seiko NH25A Movement

Hello all,

I watched a video on assembling your own watch from parts on ebay and got so excited I promptly ordered parts that don't work together.  I purchased a Seiko NH 35A movement and a 28.5 mm dial and hands.  These all work great together.  However the case I bought was WAY to big.  I have been searching all day for a case the correct size but cannot find anything.  Any suggestions on sources or other ideas?

Thanks in advance for any advice.  I love the videos and discussions.

Nick

I think the nicest cases you can get are from Seiko 5 watches. Any cheap 700x or 7s26 one will do. Stainless Steel, so can be repaired and polishing perfectly.

Otherwise you will have to spend a lot of time and effort adapting.

Ok, so here is the next dumb question.  Would a chapter ring fix the problem and how do you know how to size (probably going down from about 38MM to 28.5?  Are there standard size charts somewhere?

Thanks again.

Nick

11 hours ago, nlapietr said:

Would a chapter ring fix the problem and how do you know how to size (probably going down from about 38MM to 28.5?

No. The chapter ring is the one that may sit on top of the dial, with minutes or other markings. Perhaps you are referring to a spacer, or movement ring. Your NH35 comes already with one of grey plastic one. If it's size is not adequate, a watch manufacturer would replace it with a different one.

11 hours ago, nlapietr said:

Are there standard size charts somewhere?

There are no standards. Movement size can be expressed in old French lines but that is just indicative, then each movement has a technical drawing for casing that show all the size including the very important hand and stem height.

If you are OK with bodging up an holder ring, there are assortments that you can buy, or use whatever common material at home. Otherwise making it perfect requires 3D printing, or precise metal turning and milling, even if hand made.

If you have a 3d printer then it's possible to make a movement holder to position the movement correctly inside the case.  I've done this for a custom watch I made.  I also printed a dial is it was a skeletonised movement.  It takes some time and effort to get right, here's my prototypes...JyCoBLI3OZ4ILpEfte4GB37r7aZfsQz5d2nJZ0qPkSP1pw8BZH3ZvqmpszDxHQpJd1yrbr8mz-E1FQD7slljks30nYDV7SOfuHMXgHzIQFB99f07bLNjGF_rQ-oqO6ZK6OYptz-C6dqSCBCf_rjTn_eD0fPqOg9skqYZFmg3azsxJjxOsoP79vN7Q6gviTOdfIDYTPJZiQr61yqZPyYP_YAdaapJBzo5W66cWOYlDA-rPFewHKhZOAl90ebEIibf53Or83O4S-lsCUifFuoe5fp91aQ1HPHX85R6P2M5z7nzZuZc7Z8b2qv0Y6DkLN8iw5EIfpM8Ti8GcD48e7goxrD-bx94UF7_9lsLLvfKdgWROmpFLkCdhQgu4WkodZVBlm-DER0Pnd-EUb75q1b79v6tWVX0rGVnJNeCXkU1t_djrwCfNEJ63B95vhkfDC8Fc-LvlNTHUTL1WgYl_Ro89ACMUNpQjXnLIhWFNveUOHAC0wqKkBkCRX-IBjQujohtecLbL3UVXCuPwKBObHyifB1H3VpzWQJv62jIvbf2gNcREs38-FeGJRNkl7egi5GWFpIKFYdnrQKD807PcTpyVBJFVlwB9cOdJsApEHWHwXOVMZNDOsAmcIGxTRMK6wte_zUq5wCiImxgPCCGdP5giQlDKG2H7xn--hDEf6eOuA0V5-vbMmrHQWCk=w847-h1129-no?authuser=0

• Like 2

If you are not opposed  to used parts try speedtimerkollektion. You can buy used cases in lots. 28.5 mm dial diameter  is pretty  much a seiko standard  size. Pay attention  to stem location. It varies 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are now many suppliers of aftermarket cases for Seiko 72XX and NHXX movements. Have you looked up CrystalTimes? Theirs are  SKX-type (diver) cases that accept the parts you have (in addition to others required). Namokimods just announced "Rolex Explorer" style cases (two vintage sizes) that accept the parts you have. The later are currently pre-order. There are others as well.

My apologies if you've figured this out already!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WatchCodger said:

Theirs are  SKX-type (diver) cases that accept the parts you have (in addition to others required).

Seiko diver's knock-off cases starting $99?

Fat springbars $22?

Ahaha! I'll rather buy the genuine article, or if it is about made in China, at their real prices.

Is there such thing as a JDM SKX case, specifically? Is the case from an SKX007J made in Japan? You can't get an SKX OEM case, seperately, now anyway. My personal "knock-off" SKX cases are at least as nice as my OEM ones, if not better (drilled lugs). $79 should about do it for an aftermarket SKX007 case, which sounds pretty good given the current $250+ full price for an OEM SKX007J from a reputable online seller (way up since being replaced by the new "5"). Sure, grey market is cheaper.

Fat spring bars should be about $6/pair from any seller. $22?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WatchCodger said:

Is there such thing as a JDM SKX case, specifically? Is the case from an SKX007J made in Japan?

There is not, only the dial and rotor change on these.

You can't get an SKX OEM case, seperately, now anyway.

You can, but at exorbitant prices. https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/filter/seiko-case-parts and search 7S26-0020.

Fat spring bars should be about $6/pair from any seller. $22?

Sorry, $14 a pair on Namoki. Easy to find for much less any of their items.

So it sounds like, if someone is interested in an SKX-type case they can buy the exorbitantly priced "genuine article", which could be made in China -- or a high-quality aftermarket case, undoubtedly made in China, for a reasonable price. Given that the aftermarket options have proven their quality and value to me, I can recommend  them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WatchCodger said:

So it sounds like, if someone is interested in an SKX-type case they can buy the exorbitantly priced "genuine article", which could be made in China -- or a high-quality aftermarket case, undoubtedly made in China, for a reasonable price.

Or buy a complete diver's for about $100 and if it's only for the case, have a lots of spare parts.

Maybe is just more practical to wear a complete, original Seiko watch as I had suggested before.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 1:45 PM, WatchCodger said:

There are now many suppliers of aftermarket cases for Seiko 72XX and NHXX movements. Have you looked up CrystalTimes? Theirs are  SKX-type (diver) cases that accept the parts you have (in addition to others required). Namokimods just announced "Rolex Explorer" style cases (two vintage sizes) that accept the parts you have. The later are currently pre-order. There are others as well.

My apologies if you've figured this out already!

Thanks.  I have not solved it yet and was just going to live with it.  I just find it ugly and will definitely look at these suggestions!