AshF

Watch cleaning machine on the cheap

2 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

Okay, so what now? Do you keep your coffee warm now or do you clean watch parts? :) We are thirsty! 

Haha. I don't drink that much coffee anymore. It gives me the shakes. Sometimes a late afternoon cuppa will keep me awake till 3am. :startle:

I'm still waiting for my star shaped stirrer and larger tea strainer to arrive from AliX.

Found two candidates: nr1 and nr2 and there are more to check. What is a start shaped stirrer? I can imagine one, but do you have a link to it, or a picture? Here it is he morning now and I just had a coffee, used a normal spoon instead of a star shaped stirrer. :D

Now I dont know if this is off-topic or not, as I dont know the price of it, but when I was hunting cleaning machine baskets this came up: GS 2047D At the bottom of the page you can find that GS 2047D cleaning machine. I would like to see it in action. :)

Just testing my contraption with some random stuff in my clinic. Using plain water only.

Notice the huge vortex. Some anti-vortex baffles will definitely be necessary.

Everything comes out magnetized but the good news is that the magnetic stirrer itself can be used to demagnetize the items.

Switched to a square bottle. Notice there is hardly any vortex now. Looks promising. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

I may modify the magnetic stirrer in future. At present, the hotplate doesn't work unless the spinning motor is on. If I plan to use the hotplate as a parts dryer, I will have to bypass the switch.

I may also modify the motor to add an automatic reverse direction function.

I cant see the video. Is the vortex not something what we want to have just like with conventional National and Elma watch cleaning machines? Like you can see it here: link It helps to suck the cleaning liquid down trough the basket washing out the dirt.

I thought that you were going to spin the liquid and then enter the basket such that it was fixed, and at a greater distance from the magnet. Could be worth trying if magnetism proves to be an issue. 

That's too simple. Where's the fun in that. :D

But seriously, I did consider that design. But I didn't think the flow of liquid through such a fine mesh would be enough to clean the watch parts.

Another design I was considering was to move the magnets further out to the periphery, so that the basket is not directly over it.

But I'll test out all methods to see which works best. I've got a pile of scrap watches from ebay. I should probably clean them and sort out the usable parts.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.