Finding watch parts for an old citizen movement.

image.png.1c452d86d275e1fdfe38b049588f0c16.png

Hey guys! I brought this watch on the market. It's a very beautiful ladies watch with this hand wind movement. Unfortunately the rachet wheel screw is half broken and barely holds the rachet (Yeah it can hold the rachet but you only need a quater turn to release the screw. I think it's very dangerous to leave it that way.). The broken half inside the arbor is very tight and I did not successfully take it out. So I need to find an arbor and its screw. 

This is a movement around 15mm, 28800 beat and 21 jewels. The number marked on the bridge is 6302A21J. I Googled 'Citizen cal 6302A21J' ends up with nothing. Anyone know where I can find parts of this movement? And is 6302A21J the legit name of this movement? Thank you!

These tiny high Citizen movements are a work of art.  I have a similar style ladies High Beat Automatic, which I suspect must have been assembled by alien intelligence, the parts are so tiny and intricate. :D

I too can find nothing about this particular movement, but I suspect that the base movement number would be 6300 or 6302, but I can't find anything for this either.

As to spares for it, I think that might prove difficult, but I suggest you try some other citizen, or even an HMT movements to see if the ratchet wheel screw matches, as there seems to be some interchangeability of parts between some Citizen movements. 

Citizen_0153.jpg

Is there any other number under the balance wheel (as per the above image) that might give more clues?

Is the shaft of the damaged screw broken off in the threaded hole?

This, as you are probably aware, is a common fault, as this screw is often reverse threaded like the example above, and a previous owner may have attempted to unscrew it in the wrong direction, thus breaking off the head.

Edited by AndyHull

16 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

These tiny high Citizen movements are a work of art.  I have a similar style ladies High Beat Automatic, which I suspect must have been assembled by alien intelligence, the parts are so tiny and intricate. :D

I too can find nothing about this particular movement, but I suspect that the base movement number would be 6300 or 6302, but I can't find anything for this either.

As to spares for it, I think that might prove difficult, but I suggest you try some other citizen, or even an HMT movements to see if the ratchet wheel screw matches, as there seems to be some interchangeability of parts between some Citizen movements. 

Citizen_0153.jpg

Is there any other number under the balance wheel (as per the above image) that might give more clues?

Is the shaft of the damaged screw broken off in the threaded hole?

This, as you are probably aware, is a common fault, as this screw is often reverse threaded like the example above, and a previous owner may have attempted to unscrew it in the wrong direction, thus breaking off the head.

No other number on the plate. It seems a secret collection from Citizen. I dont worry too much about the screw cuz I have other similar Seiko movement can donate one or two screw to try it. What I need is a barrel arbor.

3 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Check for citizen 5300 and its variants.

Thank you. 5300 looks like AndyHull's movement. My movement looks different and have a different beat. But are they sharing the same arbor? If that's the case, I dont mind.

Hi EatPeach,

I’ve looked in the Jules Borel database and it’s noted as model CIT 6302A. There unfortunately aren’t any suitable parts listed though.

Are you sure it’s the ratchet wheel and not the crown wheel though? That way you’d only need to replace the screw and not the screw and arbour?

2 minutes ago, MaverickWaz said:

Hi EatPeach,

I’ve looked in the Jules Borel database and it’s noted as model CIT 6302A. There unfortunately aren’t any suitable parts listed though.

Are you sure it’s the ratchet wheel and not the crown wheel though? That way you’d only need to replace the screw and not the screw and arbour?

The thing with the arbor is I cant take the broken screw out of it so even I had a screw I can not screw it back in.

1 There's no screw for the crown wheel

Ahh ok, sorry, thought I was seeing something else!

Yeh, you’re in quite a predicament. I presume finding a replacement barrel arbour will be difficult to say the least.

Your best bet might be to keep trying to remove the broken part of the screw from the arbour whilst looking for a donor movement/suitable arbour.

Maybe if you take a picture of the arbour with measurements people can check to see if they have one that matches?
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MaverickWaz said:

Yeh, you’re in quite a predicament. I presume finding a replacement barrel arbour will be difficult to say the least.

Your best bet might be to keep trying to remove the broken part of the screw from the arbour whilst looking for a donor movement/suitable arbour.

Maybe if you take a picture of the arbour with measurements people can check to see if they have one that matches?

Yeah I'll probably look for other citizen movement on the market and see if there's a perfect donor.

3 hours ago, MaverickWaz said:

1034202674__20200702011732.thumb.png.293a0d0862a9a45b5ae6f36cb356958f.png

This is what I can get from my mesurement. Not quite accurate but I hope this will work. The pic is just for demonstration is not the arbor in question.

• Like 1