Hallmark Help

Hey y'all,

I know this isnt strictly speaking what we do here...but does anyone have any insight as to the meaning of these hallmarks inside a pocket watch case that just turned up with a bunch of other stuff (no watch in there, unfortunately, just the case)?

I am having no luck whatsoever finding anything online.

Many thanks in advance.

Matt

20200630_225328.jpg

I'd agree with JohnD.. likely to be a Rolled Gold case.. which may be fine or not. Rolled Gold cases came with different thicknesses of gold. Cases which aren't worn through are usually worth keeping for a movement and even really worn cases are worth saving for "gold recovery" (if you finish up with a few really worn or partial cases).

Guaranteed made of best material and to last with care.

That kind of gives the game away.

I don't think I've seen that kind of woolly quality statement in a silver case.

Generally if there is any precious metal involved, there will be a recognisable makers name or trademark, and some indication of the thickness of the rolled gold, or a silver percentage, or a more conventional hallmark.

"Best material" suggests finest quality brass, with nickel plating (or microscopically thin gold if you are lucky).

Furthermore the guarantee will usually state "Guaranteed for X years", (often five or ten) if it is a quality maker. Everything lasts, with care, so not much of a guarantee.

Edited by AndyHull

Excellent intel as always from this site.

Ah i mean, for sure would have been lovely if it was 18k gold and worth hundreds! But as said no recognisable hallmarks anywhere, so was no expectations were set! Turned up with a load of other stuff so ive no 'skin the game', just more of an interest point really.

Thanks very much chaps.

The case looks very British to me. In fact, the Dennison-made cases that were popular in housing many export Waltham movements, used very similar font for the engraving. That said, I've never seen a Dennison marked with that content description. I agree completely that the watch is some sort of layered or coated gold, with a brass interior.

The hallmarks themselves should still indicate where the case was made, the case maker, and the year in which it was made. A book or website that deals with British hallmarks might get you there.

As oldhippy said, many of these cases, at least those made in America, had year markings denoting the thickness of the outer gold layer. But all sorts of rather misleading markings were put on cases before regulators cracked down to make them look like they may be solid karat gold. That said, I don't recall seeing this particular marking before. Or even one like it on a pin-set type case. It's interesting, but almost certainly not karat gold. Cheers.