How to for Seiko 4004 snap for case back

Hope someone can help. I have managed to get hold of a case back for my Seiko 4004 (0903-8089) but I am unable to press it closed. I have one of those cheap hand squeeze presses with plastic dies from eBay and it just flexes when I press hard. There's not enough force to snap the case closed. Can anyone offer any advice? Hopefully a low cost solution. Thanks in advance, Steve.9ec48b4bc409fa10123038c969b3f32d.jpg6d1654ad189536a066354a3fdbb64c5f.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, steve1811uk said:

I have one of those cheap hand squeeze presses with plastic dies from eBay and it just flexes when I press hard. 

You need a rigid press and crown dies, if it presses on the center the caseback will buckle and distort. You could try with socket wrenches on a bench wise with the risk of marking something, so better would be to ask a local repair to do it.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, steve1811uk said:

Any idea how to handle the protruding battery hatch? I mean that a normal die will not lie flat against the case back and will not impart an even pressure.

It's normal to adapt or even make nylon dies for non-conforming cases.

Edited by jdm

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• glad it worked out, those ESA movements are obsolete but new old stock is still out there, now that you know the make/model you could also do a cross reference to see if something more current would line up with the dial feet and hands...for future use if needed 👍
    • I wish they would have done so in this case. The whole story went like this: I sent my speedmaster to an omega service center about 10 years ago (at that point of time I haven't even started watchmaking). After the watch came back to me it had only about 6 months wristtime until january 2024 (not fair for this nice watch but the other pieces of my collection want wristtime too 🙂). So my conclusion is that the barrel was already faulty when it came back from service, can't imagine that amount of wear in 6 months wristtime. In january 2024 the performance on the wrist was quite bad, so I decided to have a look by myself. I have to admit that I didn't check the barrel close enough as I thought it must be ok, couldn't have issues after official omega service. That was a mistake, I will learn from that. Follow the golden rule: Nothing is certain except death and taxes.
    • I am same as you oldhippy I won’t touch anything with a battery, I keep getting requests to but I just say I only do mechanical clocks, there are quite a few errors & omissions with the repair guide have a look at this. https://mb.nawcc.org/wiki/Encyclopedia-Subjects/Torsion-Clocks/Book:Horolovar-400-Day-Clock-Repair-Guide-10th-Edition-Errors-and-Updates
    • Nice experiment. As it will be no problem, please put a twice less mass (half of the two penies) and read the amplitude, will be interesting. I mean to determine what is the relation torque/amplitude.
    • parts touching that aren't supposed to touch definitely would cause an issue. there not supposed to be touching there supposed to be independent which means that @VWatchie is correct that the ratchet wheel has no effect on performance. so if the ratchet wheel in your particular case is touching that is definitely going to be an issue and needs to be addressed. did you know that the Swatch group service centers do not change mainsprings? Swatch group service centers have an infinite supply of spare parts so they just change the mainspring barrel the whole thing. Plus anything else the watchmaker doesn't like just gets replaced like anything related to the escapement they just replace the components because they can.