Weishi washi

gary17

Hey

I am trying to make head nor tail about using this weishi machine.

Can some one look at these pics and tell me if this is a good reading or bad.

The movement is a valjoux 22 chronograph from 1937 and keeps great time.

I used this watch because it is such a good time keeper as machine suggests.

ButrIMG_20200630_194136.thumb.jpg.5fbbe0dd0c6bbc306c23a983489dc08a.jpglooking at the readings the watch is in a terrible state.

cheers

gary

IMG_20200630_194149.jpg

IMG_20200630_194158.jpg

IMG_20200630_194158_1.jpg

IMG_20200630_194201.jpg

IMG_20200630_194208.jpg

IMG_20200630_194218.jpg

IMG_20200630_194227.jpg

I had an Omega auto (forget the caliber) I bought and wore for a few months before deciding to check under the hood. It was within about 5 seconds/month, amazing timekeeping. Put it on the Witschi before servicing, had about 200 degrees of amplitude and a timing delta in 6 positions of well over 100 seconds. After service it had healthy amplitude, and a delta under 15. Never kept time as well though! Maybe 30 seconds/month (still fantastic, but it was almost "magic" before).

• Like 2

Mayhap it's like nickelsilver is hinting at. It's possible your positional error rates more or less cancel each other out. The numbers aren't great, it probably needs a service, but it may be like Mr. Burns (may be a US reference only accessible to a certain age group...). He has all the diseases known to man, plus three new ones, and they're all keeping each other in check. If they fix one ailment, all the rest will come crashing down and kill him. Poor amplitude, high positional error, rickets, etc., but it all works out.

Edited by spectre6000

It seems like a "spot the difference" quiz - if those pictures are different positions then it looks pretty consistent (good).. sometimes it can be surprising how different a watch seems to wear vs on the timing machine. The amplitude (is low) and rate (slow) otherwise suggest it would benefit from a service (not so good).

I'm presently wearing a 7 jewel pocket watch which is beyond economic restoration.. having suffered some bad past repairs, shows wavy traces, slightly poor amplitude after swapping to a new and stronger mainspring, and poor positional consistency.. taking it off at night, and wearing during the day, It's gained 1 second over the past 4 days (this is more luck than my skill).

Edited by JGrainger
addition