Do not open

Hi all,

I am currently working on my "daily wear" Favre Leuba Tornado. The last time I serviced it, it hadn't ran for several decades.

My question is.... can you open and clean the main spring barrel even though the barrel cap says "do not open" ?

Many thanks for all help and advice on this question.

just like the big red button that says do not press....i absolutely would open it, and replace it if i could , a new mainspring is part of a service unless a decent replacement is not available then i would clean it and re oil it at a minimum.

likelyhood do not open is a reminder for the service centre to replace the entire balance complete, but that was then and the parts are not necessary easily available!

Edited by jnash

I have a few watches that says not to open on the barrel, but all have been opened in the past. I think some repairman in non-English speaking parts of the globe, can't read " Do not open" writen on the barrel and end up finding tricks to put the thing back together and get it to work. In conclusion I'd  say not recommended but possible.

Seikos have "non-serviceable" mainspring barrels, but people do it all the time. Their intent is that you replace the entire barrel assembly, which would be fine if it were actually an option... If you can get it open, I don't see why you shouldn't. If you'd prefer to buy a barrel assembly, and can FIND one, then go nuts.

13 minutes ago, spectre6000 said:

Seikos have "non-serviceable" mainspring barrels, but people do it all the time. Their intent is that you replace the entire barrel assembly, which would be fine if it were actually an option... If you can get it open, I don't see why you shouldn't. If you'd prefer to buy a barrel assembly, and can FIND one, then go nuts.

Lubes are sure to have dried in a vintage NOS barrel.  Same with reversers.

• Like 1

I think they were created as "sealed barrels" as spectre said to encourage you to change the whole unit at a cost,but as man put it together man can take it apart, and thats what i would do. The lubrication in the barrel probably had a finite life and was changed as a whole at service time, but as the years advance watches move on and spares become harder to find. So if you can get the lid off with no damage  do it.

Thanks for all the input guys:)..... I'll take a closer look at it when my new click spring arrives.

I did think about opening the barrel when I first serviced my movement, and yes, I wholly agree the main spring, will, without doubt be in a drier state.

Many thanks again for help and advice 

Look at it this way: if you aren't supposed to open it and must replace the whole barrel, it's trash anyway. If you open it and it's not salvageable, you've lost nothing and probably learned something in the process. If you open it, and it's not really all that special after all and totally serviceable, you've saved yourself the time and money of a new and probably difficult to find barrel assembly.

Edited by spectre6000
  • Like 2

Thanks guys:)

Well I've pushed the red button!........whew!...no boom:)

Dry as a bone inside and looks to be in good condition:).. good clean and lube here you come.

However,  putting it back in the barrel is going to be fun.

The only way I can do it atm is to use an old mainspring disc that I have from an ETA mainspring I replaced in my Rado Diastar.

The "BOSS" will kill me if I spent lots of pennies on a mainspring winder.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just a little update on my progress with my favre leuba.

Got a new mainspring for it ( found the spec for it on pink pages... many thanks Dr. Ranft)

Fitted and in place. Closing the barrel was a little tricky. The barrel cover has a small lip so I used a plastic bag round it and gently squeezed with long nosed pliers ( really dumb I know ) its closed, no marks and more importantly it turns nice and free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys

Well things have taken an unexpected twist to an otherwise straight forward service on my favre leuba.

New mainspring...check.

In place and new barrel bridge fitted ( click screw tube stripped)

Pallet in place....check.

Put some power in spring and.........nothing!

Checked work and all ok except barrel..... bummer!

So donar movement found and bought just gotta wait on it coming ( boss not going to be happy )

Ah well, back to sleeping with the dogs.....move over boys and stop hogging the blanket!

5 hours ago, marco1uk said:

Put some power in spring and.........nothing!
Checked work and all ok except barrel..... bummer!

Why it's "not ok"? Arbor doesn't hook? Or it is seized? Or lid not closed correctly?
Understating that would help you in future work, how to repair when possible before ordering again.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Well after several weeks back in day job (darn covid), donnar watch arrived and replaced part fitted. Turned out, third wheel ( I think) has a friction fit opinion was the problem, damaged wheel, she lives again:)

Just another little gremlin to kill and get her back in the case.

Thanks to all for all help and advice.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:46 AM, marco1uk said:

Ah well, back to sleeping with the dogs.....move over boys and stop hogging the blanket!

You must be out of the dog house by now, so how about a picture of the finished article. Better still if you are still in the dog house, lets see Fido wearing it. :D