Micro Stella Tool

clockboy

The final piece of the jigsaw arrived to day re-servicing of my Rolex 3135. After trying unsuccessfully  to purchase a genuine Rolex Micro Stella tool for the regulation I purchased the Cousins version of this tool. However I am concerned with its what appears the crudeness in its operation. Considering that it is vital to move the micro Stella screws in equal increments (to avoid going out of poise) the increments seem to me hit and miss. I noticed the original Rolex Micro Stella tools were upright and the indicator was oil damped.

Just a question has anyone used this tool & any tips as my Rolex runs & has always run + 20/25 secs fast day so quite bit of movement is going to be required so accuracy is going to be important.

post-234-0-30356100-1423656218_thumb.jpg

Interesting Clockboy, my Sub has always ran + 12 secs fast a day. I have to say it is the most accurate +12 seconds a day watch I have!. Never less, never more........will be interested how you get on with the stella tool and how much adjustment is required. Mark may be able to help..?

I've just had a read to see how that thing works. I'm sure you will manage to set it up well, +20/25 would niggle me. Making very small adjustment at a time, say a quarter turn on opposing screws then check it.

I await with great interest to see how you get on.

Yes its just that the increments are not marked well or fine enough for me. I will try & sort a better method of marking how much I move the buggers,

Micro Stella screws.   The biggest issue now is to find an absolute clear day with no distractions. 

I have the original rolex tool. The first time I was going to use it, I thought it sounded complicated. Now it's just fun. My experience is to use the tool when the movement is in the case. I think it's easier when adjusting.

IMG_1202_zps2e9045e3.jpg

Morten

Edited by MortenS

Hey clockboy,

I have a generic microstella tool (not sure of the maker) and just got a genuine one. I have used the generic one many times before and never had a problem with its accuracy. I will say that the star shaped cutout that fits over the nut is more precisely cut on the genuine tool.

Just remember to go slowly and work evenly in pairs. I also check after every adjustment just to be safe. I had a 3135 that wasn't keeping time in all positions so I screwed the nuts all of the way in just to start fresh. I didn't know what had been done previously and wanted to be sure that wasn't the cause. Good luck and keep us posted!!!!

Also, working in the case is a good tip. It adds to a more stable working environment.

Edited by omgiv
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I just need a clear day for the service a bit hectic here looking after the grandson, a bit of plastering etc ,etc.

Will keep all informed on my progress. The winding all the way in might be a good starting point but will wait & see before I make any move. I have read it is best to service first as the rate will change anyway after a service.

Thanks Geo,

Just been so hectic at home and just don,t want to attempt with any distractions also wanted every tool , oil etc ready.

Hoping to do it next week. 

PS Might make you smile.

The plastering/Artexing is due to me putting my foot through the ceiling a few weeks ago while clearing my loft.

(her in doors not very happy with hubby at present, so being a good boy)

Edited by clockboy

You certainly don't want distractions when horologising.

So you're one person that really has put his foot in it! BTW It did make me laugh, especially the thought of your missus nipping your head, no wonder you're after brownie points. :)

Personally I don't mind if it is in the case or out, but I do find it useful to stop the balance by pulling the crown out.

Not sure what instructions came with yours but here is the official Rolex instructions:

post-1-0-37847000-1423782622_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-54822200-1423782623_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-80443900-1423782624_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-94502700-1423782625_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-73526500-1423782626_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-76086900-1423782627_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-97035800-1423782628_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-98099100-1423782629_thumb.jpg

Working on a nice vintage Tudor prince at the moment - good old fashioned timing screws lol.

f553f16a7fdc3949ac24979087763aac.jpg

Ken Bruce in the background and a hot cuppa tea. I love this job!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hi mark,
I find your videos very helpfull.
As a watch maker, I have used them in many chances in the past few monthes. 
I was wondering if you could upload a video of the 4131/4130 Rolex Daitona model.
It would be very appreciated if you could.
thanks,
Shlomi 
תרגם

• 4 years later...

I know this post is old, but relevant to 'me' at this point.  I'm working on an Omega Co-Axial (Mark your video is 'super helpful' BTW).
however, in that video, you don't show the 'regulation' performed 'after' the service (maybe that movement didn't need any?)
So reading the posts here, the instruction on how to use a Micro-stella tool (for Rolex) also applies to the Omega. (just different tool). seem to me (on the face of it), the 'trick' (as it were) is 'not' to break the staff pivots while turning the screws. yes?  Seems the 'torque' that's applied to turn the screws puts (and can put) enormous side load on the staff pivots while they are in the jewels.  is this so?  if so, other than holding the balance wheel rim with tweezers, how do you prevent this possible damage (and resulting enormous work, replacing staff).  is there a 'trick' or advice on HOW to hold the balance wheel properly (to reduce the side load), while turning the screws? 

or... maybe I'm confused.... 

thanks
Bill