Cannon pinion removers

I have the Bergeon cannon pinion remover ref. 4854 which can lift cannon pinions diameter 1.00 to 1.80.
I was going to remove the cannon pinion from NH36 but the diameter of the cannon pinion must be just under 1.00 mm.
I could use tweezers but I don't want to risk bending the pivot. I saw a Presto cannon pinion remover, ref. 30637.2 (green handle) but that's supposed to be for large watches. I also saw Mark's video and he had a smaller collet in the original collet. I don't have such a collet and I don't know where I could get one.

What's the best way to remove cannon pinions that are under 1mm?

I'm not sure if this will help you or not, but when you're removing a canon pinion it is friction fitted onto the pivot. It fits into a notch on the pivot, and not the entire length of the pivot. So when you're attempting to remove it, it's really only the first mm or so, and then after that it is loose. While using your tweezers may seem like there is a high percentage of bending the pivot, for me, in reality, it's just a matter of popping it up. After that taking it off the rest of the way is no problem. If you use lever hand removers, those can also work in a pinch, you just have to make sure you're using equal pressure when popping up the canon pinion. I hope this make sense. Just trying to instill a little confidence in taking it off. It's really nice to have the proper tool, but you can get the job done other ways and likely will not damage the watch as long as your careful.

Good luck!

Cheers 

• Like 1

Thanks guys.
From what you're saying I'm guessing that there isn't a tool or Presto tool specifically made for cannon pinions smaller than 1mm.
Pin vice sounds good. I came across pin tongs with slide locking. I like the idea of the slide and hopefully they would have a good grip.
I'll wait for a few days before I order them in case anyone knows of a specific tool or perhaps a collet that would fit the Bergeon cannon pinion remover.

Thanks guys.
From what you're saying I'm guessing that there isn't a tool or Presto tool specifically made for cannon pinions smaller than 1mm.
Pin vice sounds good. I came across pin tongs with slide locking. I like the idea of the slide and hopefully they would have a good grip.
I'll wait for a few days before I order them in case anyone knows of a specific tool or perhaps a collet that would fit the Bergeon cannon pinion remover.

Yes there is a tool that will fit see pictures 4d8adb20073e8ec929938eb9b1aa4b76.jpg
2abb58f305ab93b9643e03d1ef476d50.jpg
65c1fa29aa9b4a1c1cffad0c9afa1e0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have very much the same except the collet. I don't have the picture of the collet and I'm not at home to take one but the Bergeon goes from 1.00 to 1.80mm these days. I presume they don't make them like that anymore?

20200629_235917.jpg

3 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I have very much the same except the collet. I don't have the picture of the collet and I'm not at home to take one but the Bergeon goes from 1.00 to 1.80mm these days. I presume they don't make them like that anymore?

20200629_235917.jpg

I've heard that the current ones don't work with smaller canon pinions, which is a shame. I have a couple of the same tool made by K&D which were probably 20 years old when I got them 20 years ago, and work with the smallest canon pinions you can imagine (like LeCoultre 101 small). I would suggest looking for some vintage ones.

I've heard that the current ones don't work with smaller canon pinions, which is a shame. I have a couple of the same tool made by K&D which were probably 20 years old when I got them 20 years ago, and work with the smallest canon pinions you can imagine (like LeCoultre 101 small). I would suggest looking for some vintage ones.

I had an extra one i just sold on the bay for $62 they can be pricey for the very reason you mentioned. I was lucky to get one at bid for $27. But its worth every penny even at $60-$70. All you need is one for any type of movement and it will last you forever. Sometimes if you search vintage watchmakers Tool lot on ebay you can get one as a part of a lot for about the same price for one by itself. Then just sell the other tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The issue is the new Bergeon cannon pinion removers are not the same as the vintage version. The vintage Bergeon cannon pinion removers were far better and could remove the summer pinions. A dead straight pull/lift is essential for the cannon.

I'll be browsing ebay and hopefully I will find one.
That's a disappointment from Bergeon, it would have been much better if they supplied it with two collets, or to give you an option to buy a different size.

• 1 year later...
On 6/30/2020 at 3:30 AM, Nucejoe said:

How about wrapping some aluminum foil around the canon pinion? 

I don't have a canon pinion remover and use a pin vice instead.

Good luck.

Hi Joe, 

I read this advice from you also in another topic here..

Yesterday my Bergeon 4854 arrived and didn't work on a 1mm cannon pinion. 

I tried to use your method but no results. Do you have some photos or a video about how do you do this? 

Thanks a lot in advance!

• 2 years later...
On 9/10/2021 at 6:44 AM, PeterS said:

Hello guys,
It's sorted now, the green presto tool is ideal for the smaller diameter cannon pinions.

Hello Peter, the green one you say is the Bergeon 30637.2 Hand Remover, Extra Strong? 

Edited by SergioRJ

If I had a cannon pinion that my remover won't lift, I would either use a pin vise or pin tongs.  Last resort would be tweezers.

I do see that most cannon pinon removers that I see on eBay don't list what size they are.  The first one I ended up with would only work for cannon pinions about 1.2mm and larger.  So, I ended up having to get one for smaller cannon pinions.  For what you may pay for one of these, make sure to ask if you cannot tell from the photos or the listing description.

• Thanks 1