Incredible Machine Skills

clockboy

This vid shows making a balance using incredible high end machine skills. Only years of practice can achieve this level of skill.

I also wish I knew what the liquid is he uses to attach the piece to a wax chuck & how he centred the piece.

I have tried shellac but could not get the piece centred.

• Like 3

I also wish I knew what the liquid is he uses to attach the piece to a wax chuck

It's Krazy Glue Clockboy, you can buy it here :- http://www.transtools.co.uk/fixings-hardwares/sealants-and-adhesives/superglues-and-activators/instant-krazy-glue-no-run-gel-2ml?language=en&currency=GBP&kw=&fl=1000&ci=55581786001&network=pla&gclid=CIi4y_rK2cMCFRTMtAod810AIg

It will come away with a bit of heat afterwards, then clean with acectone.

Good vid by the way! :)

I don't think he did centre the piece when he glued it to the chuck. He positioned it as close to centre as possible by eye and then machined it true.

Later in the video he did "catch centre" using a graver to provide a guide for the drill.

De Carle touches on this in "Practical Watch Repairing" when he describes making a wax chuck for turning a balance staff.

Excellent video though, great to watch.

• Like 1

When I said "be carefull with your fingers" I mean don't glue yours fingers together or at one of the parts to fix. I had read some people that when manipulate this glue stuck both finguers and need to split them by cut or peeling the skin. Today, you can find a solution that dissolve this kind of glue (something like/near acetone) but I don't trust on it. The first rule to use this glue is: don't use in excess. Less than you need to glue the parts is much better than too much!