Lubricating requirements for Longines 291 auto works and crown wheel

Afternoon everyone.

I've been working on a Longines 291 Automatic and have stripped, cleaned and rebuilt it to a point where it's running well but only as a manual. 

I've not previously worked on any automatics other than Seikos and their very simple Pawl lever. Can I ask what the general requirements would be for an automatic assembly, I've attached some pictures of the specific unit and specific advise would also be welcome.

In addition I've not seen a 2 piece crown wheel either, can anyone advise the normal requirement for these types of wheels?

Many thanks as always.

Screenshot_20200627_141041.jpg

Screenshot_20200627_141030.jpg

Screenshot_20200627_141012.jpg

25 minutes ago, Fraczish said:

also as it's not be covered in marks courses 1-3. 

Actually is covered in level 3, and there are specific lubricant questions in the test.
You can also use the search box above, lubrication is often debated and you can find very many topics on pretty much any specific area.

I'm also a bit confused about oiling auto systems.  Marks course doesn't cover lubrication of automatic winding mechanisms.  I'm eagerly awaiting part 4...

I'm ordering some V105 specifically for the reversing wheels.  The Moebius oiling chart says to use 9010/9020 or D5 but elsewhere is says use 8141 in "certain parts".

Currently working on 2 autos, an ETA 2452 and a F 1560.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AshF said:

I'm also a bit confused about oiling auto systems. 

Welcome to the confusing subject of lubrication. That is why I suggested that you have a good read on the many topics on the matter, with particular attention to the posting by Master nickelsilver and JohnR275.
What is recommended in one sheet or book is not the same in another. Equally good watchmakers would do things slightly differently. Not even all what our Host Mark Lovick is teaching is carved in stone.
The best approach is that one reads, consider, digest and then chose with an eye to the wallet. Even if a product is canonized it would make little sense for a beginner / hobbyist to spend $500 of lubricant to service few watches a year. But that amount is what apparently manufacturers want one to spend.

Edited by jdm
  • Like 1

I appreciate the response JDM, I've read through many of them personally and completely agree with you that many people have different methods and thoughts.. 

I tried the search function but couldn't see anything that answered what I was asking. I'm sure it's there somewhere of course..

The purpose of this thread was just to get some thoughts about the specific parts I'm struggling with. I'm sure there would be difference in opinions, I could then decide how I feel most comfortable proceeding. 

If none comes forward, that's ok, I'll just wear it as a manual!:D

Thanks JDM, this is pretty much what I thought.  I've read plenty of posts on oiling and there is little consensus.  I am just a hobbyist, starting out with good intentions.  I don't want to spend £££ but then I don't want to get into bad habits either.  I'm looking for "general" guidance.  I guess I'll just use 9010 on all the bits except any reversing wheels and hope for the best until someone shouts at me.

16 minutes ago, Fraczish said:

I tried the search function but couldn't see anything that answered what I was asking. I'm sure it's there somewhere of course..

Maybe below and again, many others. In fact the forum search function works only for a single term on phrase in double quotes. For a better intelligence use Google "site search".

• Like 2