A Seiko 5 For Just Over A Tenner...

Following Mark's comments on the robustness of the Seiko 5 movement, I spotted one on the Bay, going for a song - running but stopping here and there. Sounds like it just needs a good clean, and I have friend who lives in Bursledon who's an amateur, but very experienced cleaner and servicer of basic movements.

I'm not a great lover of automatic watches, nor watches with metal bracelets, but I'm curious about this. If it goes well after a service, I can either keep it or sell it on. We'll see.

Seiko%205%20face.JPG

Seiko%205%20movement.JPG

Having used one for over 10 years in an industrial environment, where it was exposed to shocks off the richter scale and clouds of very fine dust,  I can vouch for the robustness of the design.  Mine was a 15 jewel and the only un-jewelled train pivot hole elongated, stopping the watch,  yours being 17 jewel this will not happen to yours.  With a clean and oil every 5 years or so the life expectancy of a Seiko 5 must be measured in centuries.  It's very much like the terminator,  it just will not stop.  A very nice find Will.

RogerC

• Like 1

I've just bought the same watch for the very same reason Will (Marks Recommendation)...But bought mine brand new with tags for £50. The lady seller said any reasonable offer accepted so I plumbed for £50 and she accepted including postage. When I've got the hang of posting my pics I'll show you......Am just thinking now was £50 over the odds? Anyhow it's here now. :)

Looking also at Roger's experience with his hopefully a bargain.

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned two Seiko's with this movement and they have consistently been reliable performers and keepers of good time. I am told as well that they are great for fettling to get even better time accuracy from.
I love Seiko, how many watch companies can offer in house movements for so little?