Hello Everybody

Profundus

Thanks so much for the warm welcome! This was the message I tried to post last night...

Just wanted to say hi!

I've just discovered Mark's videos and already devoured several one after the other. They really are superb!

I started watch repair and restoration (use these terms loosely!) as a hobby 3yrs ago and I have a fair bit of experience restoring 19th century English fusee lever & verge watches, early 20th century keyless going barrel movements such as the Americans (Elgin, Waltham et al) and Swiss lever movements. My experience with Swiss cylinder movements was not a happy one as I always seemed to break the cylinder or distort the hairspring so we parted our brief association & I'll only do one now if I really have to!

My experience with latter 20th century to modern Swiss movements is sparce but I am starting to explore more. I think my heart still lies with the fusees but it doesn't matter what I'm working on, I still spend half my time on the floor searching for dropped parts that seem to skitter away to unlikely regions of my study. Mark makes it look so easy! I'll leave my hello with my first "modern" service - my Grandad's 1972 gold Avia I did 2 weeks ago that had stopped working but is now happily ticking away!

Nice introduction Profundus. I'm sure Will, who is our resident time piece historian (my words) will be eager to hear about your pocket watch exploits.

I just like anything that ticks other than bombs, and just love taking them apart..............and putting them together again. :)

• Like 1

Hello Profundus,

Welcome to the forum.  I am sure you will find us a reasonably happy bunch.  Some of the guys contribute a wealth of knowledge that is quite admirable.  We were all attracted originally by Marks exceptional videos.  I have been helped out greatly by other forum members and I am sure you will get help if its required and also contribute where you can.

I have one pocket watch but it is an heirloom on the wall and I have never actually used it - might get some ribbing off the guys as you are the first person I have mentioned this to - using a watch as an ornament - oops.

post-197-0-33060100-1424272597_thumb.jpg

Salutaria!

Vic

Hello Profundus,

If you or anyone reading this ever comes across a Georgian Pocket Watch by Benjamin Harlow, Lane End, Staffs on sale please tell me.  I have been after one for years. Twice I have missed auctions where one has been sold and the price was really reasonable.

My icon is an example of his work and he is one of my ancestors.  Way back the Harlows were clockmakers in Ashbourne, Derbyshire and Benjamin is descended from them.  It would be so cool to have one and eventually pass it on to my son.

I should really open up the frame and clean that watch and chain Bob, you never know, someday I might give it a service (hopefully not the last rights)

Cheers,

Vic

Edited by Vich