Broken Stem Inside Crown...

DJW

I apply the alum only to the piece of stem remained inside the crown , try to avoid the crown itself. I have not tried submerging the whole crown, I guess most if not all seiko crowns are made of same material.

You then clean the portion that is been disolved and reapply alum to disolve more of the steel.

According to OH (oldhippy)  you should know your metals which I usualy don't.

Good luck.

12 hours ago, Thoast said:

Hi Dan,

just a few weeks ago, I was faced with exactly the same problem: broken stem for a Seiko 7S36-03J0 case (a Seiko 5 watch).

I agree, still to be managed is the task of removing the o-ring from the stem and putting it back on afterwards.

KR
Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

A quick bit of information that I found last night that I hope you'll find helpful:

1) Removing the o-ring from my SKX779 crown was surprisingly easy. I used a small bladed screwdriver to get it started moving, and it rolled right off. In the future, I'd probably use some sharpened pegwood instead to reduce the risk of nicking or damaging the o-ring.

2) I found a great resource in the boley GmbH web site here: https://boley.de/en/case-parts. It was quite easy to look up the Seiko part numbers for the o-ring in question using the model number on my watch's caseback (7S26-0350 for the Monster, not SKX779). Armed with the Seiko part number, I found quite a few eBay sellers and was able to pick up a couple of spare o-rings.

3) With more research, I would hope it would be possible to look up the dimensions of, for example, the o-ring in question so that I could use a far more affordable generic part instead of the official Seiko part. The official Seiko o-ring is ~$8.00 on eBay, but it's possible to get an assortment of o-rings in various sizes for a lot less money. E.g., Esslinger offers a $19 "Mini O-Ring Assortment for Japanese Crowns 170 Pieces" kit. Given the volume of o-rings that an average hobbyist would need, it's probably just easier and better to stick with the official Seiko parts.

\\\

For everyone else, thanks so much for the advice! I'll be stopping by local grocery store to buy a container of alum to get started dissolving those broken stem screws.

Cheers,

Dan

Hi Dan,

glad to hear that you are now ready to start working and you are perfectly right about the value of suppliers like Boley which provide this information to us (even if we cannot buy there as hobbyists...).

Nucejoe mentioned this already and I can just encourage you that it‘s definitely preferable to replace the gaskets.

I hope, the alum will work for you.

Cheers
Thorsten

I am not sure if the O-ring is to be greased.

I run a piece of  thread inside the stem tube to clean , apply some paint thinner, some use pegwood, tooth pick etc.

The O-ring is to make the stem water- tight, I think it should be replace at every service.

12 hours ago, dpn said:

FYI the same type of search and information is also available on Cousins UK. The advantage of using them is that unlike Boley parts availability and price is shown immediately, and then available to anyone, no need to prove anything to get an account opened. 

12 hours ago, dpn said:

t was quite easy to look up the Seiko it's possible to get an assortment of o-rings in various sizes for a lot less money.

I recommend that one checks well which sizes are in these assortments before buying, because most often these are just for dress watches and not diver's. 

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

I am not sure if the O-ring is to be greased.

Yes it is, just like on he caseback gasket one should use a tiny amount of watch silicone grease. 

• Thanks 1

Submerge the entire crown into a mixture of alum. Alum settles so you have to keep it warm if possible. Stir a little when you see it settle at the bottom. Its working when you can see tiny bubbles being released. Works every time for me.

2 hours ago, toptime810 said:

Submerge the entire crown into a mixture of alum.

Just make sure that the crown is of a non-ferrous metal first. Otherwise alum will attack everything.

• Like 1

Thanks all. As an update, the process appears to be working after a few days -- I can definitely see into the crown now, where I couldn't before. I'm having trouble screwing the new stem into the crown, so I suspect that I need to let the alum solution work for another day or two. Interestingly, I can definitely feel the spring inside the crown pushing back when I try to screw the new stem in -- although most of the crown appears to be stainless steel, I'm wondering whether there was a plain steel component deeper into the crown that was adversely affected by the alum solution.

There is some very mild discoloration on the stainless steel surface of the crown (a little blackening) that I assume will be easy to remove with some very, very gentle polishing.

Finally, this experiment gave me the opportunity to explain the effect of temperature on water's saturation capacity to my two little girls. After heating my alum solution up, an amount of alum that hadn't dissolved at room temperature went into solution. I allowed this solution to cool back down overnight, and was rewarded with some nice alum crystallization on my crown the next morning. I think, the next time I need to use this alum trick, I'll take some of the advice proffered to me earlier in this tread and use a pipette only to add alum solution to the specific part of the crown that needs it! Photo attached in case anyone needs a laugh ...

Cheers,

Dan

Alum-Crystal.JPG

• Thanks 1

... so I broke another stem off in a crown. It's so incredibly frustrating!

Specifically, I received another pre-assembled, pre-cut crown and stem setup from Seiko.

I spent a lot of time working to soften the loctite before trying to unscrew the stem from the crown. I removed the rubber o-ring first, then heated the point where the stem is screwed into the crown with a lighter. I couldn't get the stem out, so I then built a little boat out of tinfoil and heated the thing up in a toaster oven for 10 minutes. When it was cool enough to handle, I then re-heated the screw point with a lighter again.

Despite these efforts, the stem simply wouldn't unscrew from the crown. I was using a pin vise to hold the stem and I tried to unscrew the crown by hand. Nothing was working, and I tried to apply a bit more force. Then the dang stem snapped!

I'm trying a different method to dissolve the stem out of the crown (using a pipette to put my alum solution only where it needs to be), so hopefully that part of the exercise will go more smoothly.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can unscrew a pre-glued Seiko crown/stem assembly without breaking the stem off inside the crown? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Dan

Put a soldering gun in contact with the broken piece of stem to heat it up only and as hot as you can get it, then drop the whole thing in cold or tap water. this will crack the bond between the stem and the crown, be it glue, rust or anything else for that matter. Pentrating oil can then penetrate the cracks.

If that didn't work, you are back to alum or drilling the stem out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dpn said:

Thanks so much @Nucejoe -- I'll give that technique a try the next time I'm in this situation!

I'm so grateful for the advice everyone on this forum has shared.

If the stem doesn't want to unscrew out of the crown peacefully,  this is a perp before re-attempt.

Following application of penetrating oil, you then attempt to unscrew the stem. 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 3:27 PM, Nucejoe said:

Put a soldering gun in contact with the broken piece of stem to heat it up only and as hot as you can get it, then drop the whole thing in cold or tap water. this will crack the bond between the stem and the crown, be it glue, rust or anything else for that matter. Pentrating oil can then penetrate the cracks.

If that didn't work, you are back to alum or drilling the stem out.

penitrateing oil, heat and time.   let it sit overnight.   vin

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 1:50 PM, dpn said:

Specifically, I received another pre-assembled, pre-cut crown and stem setup from Seiko.

I spent a lot of time working to soften the loctite before trying to unscrew the stem from the crown. I removed the rubber o-ring first, then heated the point where the stem is screwed into the crown with a lighter. I couldn't get the stem out, so I then built a little boat out of tinfoil and heated the thing up in a toaster oven for 10 minutes. When it was cool enough to handle, I then re-heated the screw point with a lighter again.

Despite these efforts, the stem simply wouldn't unscrew from the crown. I was using a pin vise to hold the stem and I tried to unscrew the crown by hand. Nothing was working, and I tried to apply a bit more force. Then the dang stem snapped!

I'm trying a different method to dissolve the stem out of the crown (using a pipette to put my alum solution only where it needs to be), so hopefully that part of the exercise will go more smoothly.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can unscrew a pre-glued Seiko crown/stem assembly without breaking the stem off inside the crown? This is driving me nuts!

Thanks,

Dan

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 1:50 PM, dpn said:

Thanks,

Dan

there are several way to use heat :  a match, cig.   lighter or jewelers torch..  i prefere the torch.  vin