Clock from a MIG fighter

In 1999 a friend came from Russia to stay with me for a week to attend a cell biology conference in my city. As a gift, she brought me a clock out of a MIG fighter. It stopped working and I opened it to see if I could find out what was wrong. I found that the jewel that holds one end of the balance wheel had broken. I had no idea how to find a new jewel for it or if it was even possible. I also didn't want to go taking the whole thing apart for fear of never being able to put it together again. Does anyone have an idea who, in the US, might be able to do this?

Thanks,

Mike

10 minutes ago, Evergreen64 said:

In 1999 a friend came from Russia to stay with me for a week to attend a cell biology conference in my city. As a gift, she brought me a clock out of a MIG fighter. It stopped working and I opened it to see if I could find out what was wrong. I found that the jewel that holds one end of the balance wheel had broken. I had no idea how to find a new jewel for it or if it was even possible. I also didn't want to go taking the whole thing apart for fear of never being able to put it together again. Does anyone have an idea who, in the US, might be able to do this?

Thanks,

Mike

Assuming his was a cold war MIG then the clock, if luminous, probably used radio active material to achieve the luminescence, the dust from which is VERY dangerous if inhaled. Great care needs to be used when opening luminous clocks and watches from the1960's and before.............

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Evergreen64 said:

a clock out of a MIG fighter

That's very interesting. I'm very much into Russian wrist watches but have never worked on any Russian clock. I know Vostok makes ship clocks available to anyone interested. Not sure new members can upload pictures but that would be a good and interesting start.

Is it one like the one below? That one is mine. Parts are difficult. You can get a new balance wheel or a set of hands, or a dial, even a nice display stand, easier than any other bits. Is it the jewel in the balance bridge? If so, you may find it easier but not financially feasible to purchase an entire watch and possibly scavenge the balance, though it would be a waste of one watch for another. I put in a question with a seller on eBay who is selling a handful of miscellaneous gears for one of these to see if they have a bridge available, assuming that is the culprit. Mine has an issue with the lower balance jewel Chaton. It had moved away from it's propper position and would cause the balance to overbank randomly. I seem to have it sorted now. They were built in a relatively robust manner, most bits are quite easy to disassemble. I suspect the reason there are so many available is likely because it was easier to replace a faulty watch rather than try to service one. Most were likely sent back to the factory but again, it was just simpler to ship out a new one rather than to bother fixing them. These watches were in military aircraft so they were certainly subject to vibration, impacts, shocks, and wild temperature swings to say the least. I would imagine it wouldn't take long before issues began to arise. The were usually placed low in the instrument panels to make getting at them easier when they failed. 2 thumb screws and two wire connectors were all that were required to remove these. As I said, mine is running reliably now as long as I don't fiddle with it too much while it's running. I would be curious to see photos of yours. I'll let you know if the eBay seller gets back to me.

My AChS-1 watch

20200626_054230.thumb.jpg.baf66e5e395d1184d553e7b2e5d0406b.jpg

There upper balance jewel.

20200626_054816.thumb.jpg.a48d703ce7b42d4228d92c1098ceea04.jpg

Here is a shot of one properly mounted in a Mig-29 Fulcrum.

20200626_062705.thumb.jpg.688c503cfe285692b0afe045803246e3.jpg

Edited by FLwatchguy73
  • Like 1

you're in luck, the seller on eBay I messaged has a complete balance arm available. 

quoted message below....

New message from: remwatch (650)

Hello.I have a balance bridge. But I also have jewel for it.

HERE is the link to the original listing. Contact the seller and see how much they want for the Bridge.

• Like 1

On 6/26/2020 at 2:05 AM, JohnD said:

Assuming his was a cold war MIG then the clock, if luminous, probably used radio active material to achieve the luminescence, the dust from which is VERY dangerous if inhaled. Great care needs to be used when opening luminous clocks and watches from the1960's and before.............

While is true that Radium is an hazardous tolerance, this routine warning given every-time that an old watch is mentioned is greatly exaggerated. The danger becomes real manly when the substance is ingested, or inhaled, and for prolonged time. Occasional manipulation of watches do not present danger whatsoever. Otherwise all of the old watchmakers and dial / hand manufacturers would be dead or fell sick back in the 60's already, fortunately is not so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium#Hazards

Edited by jdm

1 minute ago, jdm said:

While is true that Radium is an hazardous tolerance, this routine warning given every-time that an old watch is mentioned is greatly exaggerated. The danger becomes real manly when the substance is ingested, or inhaled, and for prolonged time. Occasional manipulation of watches do not present danger whatsoever. Otherwise all of the old watchmakers and dial / hand manufacturers would be dead or fell sick back in the 60's already, fortunately is not so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radium#Hazards

Agree, but with degraded lume flaking off the danger is in breathing in the dust, hence the warning........