Deggsie

Seiko 7009A Automatic Movement

Could anyone please tell me how to correctly service the mainspring/ barrel assembly on a seiko 7009a? I’ve managed to split the barrel with a very sharp knife and walked out the mainspring. What is the correct breaking grease for the barrel wall please. Should I also oil the spring?

Thanks in advance

Regards

Deggsie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i believe this subject has been coverd before on the forum  have a look via the search at the top right.      They are enclosed and not meant to be opened but replaced, But having said that many members have opened ans serviced the spring an barrel sucessfully.. just check the search for the many opinions on the subject.           cheers

Hi watchweasol. I’m sure you are correct regarding seiko not intending for the barrel/ spring to be serviced. The fact that a man assembled it means a man can disassemble it, and once open it’s exactly the same in principle as the Swiss design the Japanese so eloquently replicated.

I know there are some good debates on here regarding to service or discard, but nothing to advise on the best grease to use on the barrel wall. That’s really the advise I’m seeking.

Regards
Deggsie

4 hours ago, Deggsie said:

I know there are some good debates on here regarding to service or discard, but nothing to advise on the best grease to use on the barrel wall. That’s really the advise I’m seeking.

If you search "braking grease" you will find very many discussions on the subject. And they all apply to Seiko, or any other maker automatic barrel.

Hi Dreggsie   I know where you are coming from as that's my sentiment,  Mark our sponsor advocated Mob 8217 on the barrel walls,  consensus is three dabs  at  120 Deg apart round the barrel wall.  Oiling the spring there are those who do and those who don' t    I my self put three dabs of oil on the spring and leave it to work in during use.   An emotive subject lubrication.

Hi Dreggsie   I know where you are coming from as that's my sentiment,  Mark our sponsor advocated Mob 8217 on the barrel walls,  consensus is three dabs  at  120 Deg apart round the barrel wall.  Oiling the spring there are those who do and those who don' t    I my self put three dabs of oil on the spring and leave it to work in during use.   An emotive subject lubrication.

Thanks watchweasol. I’ll try and get some 8217 if it’s not silly money. I’ve got to place an order with cousins Uk
Kind regards
Deggsie

If you search "braking grease" you will find very many discussions on the subject. And they all apply to Seiko, or any other maker automatic barrel.

Thanks for the pointer jdm