Omega 565 won't tick

Hello everyone. This is my second post here on the forum, so I just wanted to start by saying thankyou to all contributors and great advice available on here. Much of what I've read here has helped me through the intricate process of watch repair. 

And so I digress. I have an Omega 565 Movement that stopped ticking a while back. Upon removing the case back, I found it was extremely dirty (see photo) I stripped/cleaned/lubricated the movement in the hope that a service would breathe some life into it. To no avail. 

My first thought was that the mainspring wasn't producing enough power, or that there was a blockage in the gears somewhere. However, with the balance removed and the mainspring wound, the pallet fork will 'flick' from side to side when gently agitated by a screw driver. Thus I'm assuming that torque is being transfered through the train to the escape wheel.

So naturally I suspected the balance was at fault, but the hairsping is in excellent condition and it appears visibly fine. When fitted to the watch, the balance wheel moves freely on its bearings. 

If someone could point me towards any other areas to check I'd be very appreciative. Upon tear down and reassembly, all the jewels and gears appeared to be in good condition. As did the pallet jewels. 

Thanks a lot. 

David 

Hello everyone. This is my second post here on the forum, so I just wanted to start by saying thankyou to all contributors and great advice available on here. Much of what I've read here has helped me through the intricate process of watch repair. 
And so I digress. I have an Omega 565 Movement that stopped ticking a while back. Upon removing the case back, I found it was extremely dirty (see photo) I stripped/cleaned/lubricated the movement in the hope that a service would breathe some life into it. To no avail. 
My first thought was that the mainspring wasn't producing enough power, or that there was a blockage in the gears somewhere. However, with the balance removed and the mainspring wound, the pallet fork will 'flick' from side to side when gently agitated by a screw driver. Thus I'm assuming that torque is being transfered through the train to the escape wheel.
So naturally I suspected the balance was at fault, but the hairsping is in excellent condition and it appears visibly fine. When fitted to the watch, the balance wheel moves freely on its bearings. 
If someone could point me towards any other areas to check I'd be very appreciative. Upon tear down and reassembly, all the jewels and gears appeared to be in good condition. As did the pallet jewels. 
Thanks a lot. 

David 

Afternoon David!

Have you checked the roller jewel isn’t broken?
  • Like 1

Hi   So it has been dismantled,cleaned and oiled and still not working although the power reaches the fork? .  After checking indeed that the roller and impulse pin are intact and not loose I should check that the impulse pin lies central in the fork/pallet and central in the banking pins with the power taken off the watch and the movement at rest. This will tell us if the watch is in beat or close, if it hangs to the left or right the watch is out of beat and will not run untill put in beat.  If it lies central and the roller is good and the impulse jewel is good  then remove the balance and the pallet/fork and re check the train power. Did you remove the mainspring for cleaning and oiling? and does the train rum free when the spring is given a turn. all points worth checking.     attached is the service sheet for the 565.         cheers

377_Omega 565 NewLR (3).pdf

• Thanks 1

as you are new to the group is this your first watch your servicing?

56 minutes ago, ezy123 said:

I have an Omega 565 Movement that stopped ticking a while back. Upon removing the case back, I found it was extremely dirty (see photo) I stripped/cleaned/lubricated the movement in the hope that a service would breathe some life into it. To no avail. 

I seem to be having eyesight problems and I'm not seeing the photo?

One of the problems in watch repair is assuming that cleaning will fix the problem. So if the watch stopped in the past and wouldn't run at all and cleaning properly in all the proper lubrication etc. hasn't fix the problem then whatever the original problem is probably still there.

Then when you reassembled and discovered the problem is the automatic assembly currently on the calendar etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   So it has been dismantled,cleaned and oiled and still not working although the power reaches the fork? .  After checking indeed that the roller and impulse pin are intact and not loose I should check that the impulse pin lies central in the fork/pallet and central in the banking pins with the power taken off the watch and the movement at rest. This will tell us if the watch is in beat or close, if it hangs to the left or right the watch is out of beat and will not run untill put in beat.  If it lies central and the roller is good and the impulse jewel is good  then remove the balance and the pallet/fork and re check the train power. Did you remove the mainspring for cleaning and oiling? and does the train rum free when the spring is given a turn. all points worth checking.     attached is the service sheet for the 565.         cheers

377_Omega 565 NewLR (3).pdf 3.74 MB · 3 downloads

Thanks for the helpful tips. Think I may have found the culprit. I am a novice so go easy on me. 

But first... 

Dirty movement IMG_20200608_135826.thumb.jpg.427048972d8880783d8bbd69d2f67b57.jpg

After cleaning (minus balance and fork) 

IMG_20200625_175640.thumb.jpg.b997b786df6a47a73ebd5b04b00b712f.jpg

Balance in apparently good condition. Impulse jewel looks good to me unless anyone thinks otherwise? Hairsping also seems in fine condition. 

IMG_20200625_175327.thumb.jpg.b9d60c38821da8d9d1d4d78d0bb381ad.jpg

Pallet fork. Fork horn and guard pin look good as do the stones (again please correct if I'm wrong) 

IMG_20200625_181506.thumb.jpg.5ed4f00e400684ce61068a06979f7e61.jpgIMG_20200625_181244.thumb.jpg.3ea923cdd4d86bef81e68a29a8b67a42.jpg

Decided to. Remove the fork and balance to see if the power was moving freely through the gears. Then noticed this! 

So upon winding the mainspring lightly, the train was binding due to the (third wheel??) being bent. 

IMG_20200625_183419.thumb.jpg.317296a56f3107e11adbc1266a1cc547.jpg

So my plan is to replace the third wheel, check that the impulse jewel is centred and then try again. 

Hoping this will cure it. 

As an aside, am I right in thinking this is a 'beat adjuster' allowing you to move the relative position of the impulse jewel? 

Screenshot_20200625_194606.thumb.jpg.86c7eb7f27e715e7d92cf52222210c49.jpg

Thanks as ever for your understanding and input. 

I am aware that I am learning on a fairly intricate movement, but loving the process nonetheless. 

Hi   The third wheel is out of true causing bad inlerlocking of the teeth with its neighbours, If you able to remove and straighten the wheel (re poise) and re fit or alternativly replace the wheel I will be a worker,   If you are in the UK  Cousins UK watch parts is the place to look of Stateside  Esslingers  Jules Borel  Otto Frei all material houses.  Yes that is the beat adjuster the rate is by adjusting the screw  on the lyre spring adjuster.           If we sound a bit short at times we are only trying to  Point you in the right direction diagnose the fault and  recommend procedures for you to do to help things along. You have done well enough to get this far .   So well done:thumbsu:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shoud you decide to straigthen the wheel, keep in mind to do the straigthening without any force imparted to its arbour or teeth of the gear. 

I often do the straigthening when its inside the movement, easier to take the wheel out for straigthening in which case hold the wheel itself and not its arbour, as you straigthen. Keep assessing where is be raised or lowered as you go.