Cleaning a Watch Movement

Hi fellow watch enthusiasts, I hope you are keeping safe & well.

Having tinkered for a while, and completed the second of Mark's on-line course, I'm taking the plunge and undertaking a full dismantle, clean and reassemble of an old 1960's Tissot Seastar.  As a result I have two questions, if I may.

I read somewhere, that I should not subject the pallet fork to the harsh cleaning fluids, as it may damage the delicate End Stones.  Is this accurate and correct and are there any other components that I should not put in the harsh cleaning fluid..? 

In addition, I've managed to secure a NOS replacement main spring.  I'm assuming that as its been sitting around for a good while it will need lubricating.  It there a method of lubricating the main spring without the need to unfurl it from the temporary housing it comes in, or once inserted into the barrel..?

Many thanks

Phil

Hi   welcome to the forum.    Cleaning  fluids and the methods are varied as are many opinions as to what to use and how but normally the use of Naptha , Benzine,  and rinsed in Isopropyl alcohol, for the hobbyist works. do not leave any part to soak if required clean it twice.  2 to 3 min in the ultrasonic per session and repeat as required is better than soaking.

4 hours ago, Speedster1968 said:

In addition, I've managed to secure a NOS replacement main spring.  I'm assuming that as its been sitting around for a good while it will need lubricating.  It there a method of lubricating the main spring without the need to unfurl it from the temporary housing it comes in, or once inserted into the barrel..?

Mainsprings need no lubrication. If it's an automatic you can place some anti braking on the barrel wall, and always HP-1300 on the arbor where it contacts other parts. Please search this forum using the box top right for the abundant discussions on the subject.

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Chemicals do disolve the shalac, never heard any damaging the stones.

Not all chemicals do, as mentioned may many times benzine (and any petroleoum derivatives) do not dissolve shellac, and even IPA only does slowly. Of course, jewels themselves are resistant to pretty much anything.

Edited by jdm

1 hour ago, jdm said:

Mainsprings need no lubrication. If it's an automatic you can place some anti braking on the barrel wall, and always HP-1300 on the arbor where it contacts other parts. Please search this forum using the box top right for the abundant discussions on the subject.

Not all chemicals do, as mentioned may many times benzine (and any petroleoum derivatives) do not dissolve shellac, and even IPA only does slowly. Of course, jewels themselves are resistant to pretty much anything.

Thanks for the advice, really useful... 

15 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   welcome to the forum.    Cleaning  fluids and the methods are varied as are many opinions as to what to use and how but normally the use of Naptha , Benzine,  and rinsed in Isopropyl alcohol, for the hobbyist works. do not leave any part to soak if required clean it twice.  2 to 3 min in the ultrasonic per session and repeat as required is better than soaking.

Thanks for the advice Watchweasol, really appreciated.  Fully understand the not leaving to soak for too long bit, having read a post on here just yesterday, about the damage that can be done...Thanks again Phil..