Need help to find an alternative Mainspring

Hey guys! I just broght a Universal Geneve watch with cal 1-42 movement. The dial is amazing and the price is very low so I dont even hesitate to buy it. But the buyer did notice me that the MS is broken so I need to replace one. Unfortunatly the original MS is out of stock, I can not find a original replacement. So I'm thinking about buying an alternative one.

I haven't receive the package but I dig some research so these are what I know now:

width of the MS: 0.9mm

Thickness: 0.10mm

Inner barrel diameter: 8mm

Length: unknown

It will be very helpful if you can help me find an alternative. I dont have a GR book so I dont even know where to start.

Thank you guys!

44 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

Generale Ressorts lists a 0.90x 0.10x 260  8 spring, which happens to be for their replacement for Movado 245 and Universal 820. Should work fine.

Thanks. But these two are not so easily accessable as well:(

NS has identified the approximate length you need. It is not critical. Just get the closest length you can. 

If you are UK-based then I can take a look through my sets if you can’t find something from Cousins. 

• Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 9:39 PM, nickelsilver said:

Generale Ressorts lists a 0.90x 0.10x 260  8 spring, which happens to be for their replacement for Movado 245 and Universal 820. Should work fine.

Hi. May I ask how can I know what movement use the particular size of that mainspring? Where can I get those informations? thank you !

On 6/24/2020 at 3:34 PM, EatPeach said:

I dont have a GR book so I dont even know where to start.

GR catalog can be downloaded on Cousin's, click "documents" on any mainspring page.

On 6/25/2020 at 7:19 AM, EatPeach said:

Just checking if cousins can ship to my country.

Cousins ships to any country. In another topic you wrote that shipping to your one cost too much, I'm surprised by that since under ₤25 they can ship untracked at actual cost. I pay GPB 2.20 to EU, I assume it's just a little more for the Americas or the rest of the world.

6 minutes ago, jdm said:

GR catalog can be downloaded on Cousin's, click "documents" on any mainspring page.

Cousins ships to any country. In another topic you wrote that shipping to your one cost too much, I'm surprised by that since under ₤25 they can ship untracked at actual cost. I pay GPB 2.20 to EU, I assume it's just a little more for the Americas or the rest of the world.

I live in China so an untracked post is definitely not an option, your package will be lost in China for sure! I need three MS because I got 3 universal 42 suffering the same problem... And the cost of the shipping is €20. If unfortunately I get taxed in China I will pay €5~10. I'm still a postgraduate so I'm buying on a budget. That's why I'm considering other cheaper alternatives. If that's OK it will be a big relive because you don't know how frustrated shopping worldwide in China.

Edited by EatPeach

1 minute ago, EatPeach said:

I live in China so untracked post is definetly not an option, your package you lost in China for sure!

Find a friend or service to reship to you from the UK or other reliable country. I know that "proxy buyers" are popular, shopping on behalf of others, then smartly packaging and declaring goods to China.

1 minute ago, jdm said:

Find a friend or service to reship to you from the UK or other reliable country. I know that "proxy buyers" are popular, shopping on behalf of others, then smartly packaging and declaring goods to China.

Thanks for the advice. I will consider your proposal if it's available.:)