So much waiting

I know many of you are more established in watch repair, so you have the tools and a decent collection of watch parts to pull from.  I've worked on a Seiko that took a number of weeks to get parts for. I started a Vostok which needed parts, but I won't be getting what I need until August.  How does one maintain a more consistent work cycle? How/where does one start building up their watch parts collection to eliminate these long waiting times?  I used Esslinger and CasKer in the US for parts. I've considered CousinsUK, but the shipping is usually more than the part cost.  I needs to tips on how to maneuver within the parts realm better.

Seconded.

I find another major limiting factor is not knowing in advance (yet) what I'm looking for, and shipping costs, even from domestic suppliers, eats a good percentage of my budget. I need a part that I can only get from one supplier, but it feels silly to pay out the nose to ship something tiny, so I put it off until the next time I have enough of an order that the shipping makes more sense. Hopefully I don't forget in the interim....

From the perspective of a fellow hobbyist, I think volume and pace are working out to be helpful for me. If I have something else to work on, it doesn't bother me all that much to reassemble into a minimized holding pattern state, and come back to it later.

Also helpful is a 6 month old. She only really lets me work every couple of days for an hour or two after dinner. Slows thing down a bit.

• Like 1

Specialize in limited number of calibers and brands. That way, you get good at all the technical  ends n outs and a used or new scrap movement can be  your material house to the last drop.

A good example of this is jersymo, knows and has everything about timex.

• Like 4

Look for donor movements on eBay. Sometimes you can get an old watch for parts with free shipping for the same cost as the single needed part plus shipping. When you're done you have the rest of the donor watch for parts. If you stick with a few calibers as Nucejoe suggests you'll have a drawer full of spares in no time.

• Like 2

As a jobber one best directly go to a brand that the owners can afford and do pay for service, repair costs.

Who would pay 40 bucks to have a $30 timex repaired. or a seiko which would be worth 60 buck after repair. 

As a hobbyest or collector, you go with the rare, collectible ones and are ultimately looking at a hefty profit on your investment. 

A 6497 movement in luxury brand is of higher grade than one in a low end watch.

A brand popular in certain region may not be in another.

So I find out the  brands popular in your region. Nowadays everybody thinks Omega.

• Thanks 1

so as much as people like to bash EBay there is no other single resource that will help you find parts. Best to buy up watch maker estate lots.  But one off deals can be found too. I now buy parts of my watchmaker friend because his supply house doesn't have them. Most recently it was a pusher for a Tag. Before that it was a third wheel for Rolex.   

As for those Timex parts. yes, I have more than I could ever use. They are years of accumulation and many deals made with other collectors.  I did pass on one deal where I was offered the contents of a 16' x 10' storage locker full to the top.  All NOS Timex.   hmm maybe I should ask if its still available :)  see what this hobby does to you!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

see what this hobby does to you!

HA! I am finding this out quickly! eBay has been a great source for me. I have yet to tap into estate sales. I've also been watching Goodwill online. They've had some good deals, however their service is very clunky and I tend to forget about them.

1 hour ago, sjhilbel said:

HA! I am finding this out quickly! eBay has been a great source for me. I have yet to tap into estate sales. I've also been watching Goodwill online. They've had some good deals, however their service is very clunky and I tend to forget about them.

yes Goodwill is where I bought my first mega bulk load of vintage watches. Among which was a 1964 Timex Marlin that put me on this path. Only issue I have with it is that people tend to overbid.  Here is what you have to look forward too. 

space.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wonder how many people on here are into vinyl... It's another in a long list of anachronistic interests of mine, and I suspect a similar thread can be found in many people on here.

My ideal evening involves vinyl, a nice beer, and a movement coming cleanly together. My record player is on the other side of the adjacent room, but with an open floor plan it works nicely save I have to get up every 20 minutes or so to flip or swap.

On 6/26/2020 at 1:48 PM, spectre6000 said:

My ideal evening involves vinyl, a nice beer, and a movement coming cleanly together.

@spectre6000, you just described my wish. We have a small collection of vinyls and the player is in another room, so I'll usually working on a movement with Spotify on. The only missing component to this ideal evening is the "movement coming cleanly together." It is few and far between for me so the beer is after to calm the nerves. Guess I need to start the work with the beer open first. ;) 

• Like 1