Bent Roller Table

Hi guys,

Hope everybody’s well and staying safe. I have found myself in a pretty awkward situation and have a slightly bent roller table as can be seen below. I haven’t pushed it home yet as I didn’t want to exacerbate it’s condition and know it won’t be functional in this state.

11b5d9fb164835fcb43e5afa0d13831d.jpg

Just wondering if anybody has come across this before and/or know how it could be fixed. I have a staking set and a jeweling tool that could be used for reference.

Hi guys,

Hope everybody’s well and staying safe. I have found myself in a pretty awkward situation and have a slightly bent roller table as can be seen below. I haven’t pushed it home yet as I didn’t want to exacerbate it’s condition and know it won’t be functional in this state.

11b5d9fb164835fcb43e5afa0d13831d.jpg&key=fc4e782aad42808e08b628c1c3161ee801369988e7661df172f6e3de761a11a5

Just wondering if anybody has come across this before and/or know how it could be fixed. I have a staking set and a jeweling tool that could be used for reference.

I would remove it, heat it up and remove the impulse Jewel. Then I would heat it up again and flatten it with a flat stake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

I would remove it, heat it up and remove the impulse Jewel. Then I would heat it up again and flatten it with a flat stake.

Out of curiosity, when you heat parts like this up, what tool do you use? And do you have a good indicator for when it's warm enough? Or is it trial and error?

15 minutes ago, MrBeam said:

Out of curiosity, when you heat parts like this up, what tool do you use? And do you have a good indicator for when it's warm enough? Or is it trial and error?

I'm curious too. Please tell us more. Thanks!

That has probably bent during removal. I’ve had that happen when using a Bradux roller remover when it’s perhaps been rusted-on or someone used adhesive. 

The hardness of the steel may not be that great. But simply punching down on the roller table may not get it flat with respect to the hole through its centre.... do you have a spare broken staff you use as a stake underneath it?

If it’s easy to get an inexpensive spare then personally I’d try punching it with the impulse jewel in situ. Yes, it may shatter the shellac and drop the jewel out. You would need a punch which has a cut-out to clear the impulse jewel. 

I depends on annealing and tempering requirements and what you what to do with the steel.if you heat up the metal to straw color and let it cool naturally, bending it is not an issue. Afterward you need to heat it and plunge the part into oil at just the right time to make it hard but not brittle. Lots of practice required.

• Thanks 1

That has probably bent during removal. I’ve had that happen when using a Bradux roller remover when it’s perhaps been rusted-on or someone used adhesive. 

The hardness of the steel may not be that great. But simply punching down on the roller table may not get it flat with respect to the hole through its centre.... do you have a spare broken staff you use as a stake underneath it?
If it’s easy to get an inexpensive spare then personally I’d try punching it with the impulse jewel in situ. Yes, it may shatter the shellac and drop the jewel out. You would need a punch which has a cut-out to clear the impulse jewel. 

Cheers guys! I agree and believe it was a problem with the removal. I used a Bradux roller remover for the first time so that must have been it.

On a positive note, at least the lesson was learnt on a relatively common movement. I do have the old staff so will give that a go tonight. Should be a good experience even if it doesn’t work.

The movement is a Peseux 170 so I’ve had a look on the Jules Borel database to see if I have a replacement on any movement I have knocking around. I believe ‘ROLLER 200X90X42’ refers to the roller table on the following website; http:// http://www.julesborel.com/s.nl/it.I/id.7/.f

3 hours ago, MaverickWaz said:

Cheers guys! I agree and believe it was a problem with the removal. I used a Bradux roller remover for the first time so that must have been it.

On a positive note, at least the lesson was learnt on a relatively common movement. I do have the old staff so will give that a go tonight. Should be a good experience even if it doesn’t work.

The movement is a Peseux 170 so I’ve had a look on the Jules Borel database to see if I have a replacement on any movement I have knocking around. I believe ‘ROLLER 200X90X42’ refers to the roller table on the following website; http:// http://www.julesborel.com/s.nl/it.I/id.7/.f

Quick update, after attempting the staking this evening I managed to mangle it past the point of repair. I appreciate all of your advice in the matter though. The failure was more due to the worker than the process of repair! Again, the lesson here is be a lot more careful with roller tables.

I now have a couple of options;

1) Purchase a balance roller from Cousins, relatively cheap (approx. £5) however I'm unsure if it comes with the jewel included. Can anybody confirm this?

2) Purchase a donor movement from an applicable movement outlined on the Jules Borel watch Database. Probably easier if the above option doesn't contain the roller jewel. Does the selection labelled ROLLER refer to the Balance roller?

3) As mentioned by Nucejoe, see if anybody here has one that's taking up space and they'd be ok letting it go. I'd be more than willing to purchase it from them.