Having a hard time getting watch back off

Hello,

I have an 88 Rue Du Rhone chronograph. It's battery is dead and I would like to replace it myself. It has a press on case back which I can't seem to get off. I have tried using a case knife on a small indentation on the side which looks like it was designed for a case knife but it won't budge. I don't want to apply too much pressure because I have had a case knife slip and cut me before. Any ideas on how to go about removing it safely?

Thank you,

Mike

s-l1600.jpg.332883ac26196f8c8becccf718baa30e.jpg

I got tired getting off bezels and snap-on case backs so I got myself one of these Chinese "Snap Back Watch Case Opener Bezel Remover" on eBay. I've only used it with bezels so far, but it has worked really well reducing the pain and risks to a minimum. I just hate it when I damage myself or my watches. I feel pretty sure it will work just as well with snap-on case backs.

11 hours ago, VWatchie said:

I just hate it when I damage myself or my watches. I feel pretty sure it will work just as well with snap-on case backs.

Copy of an expensive Horotec, I have pictured few more in the topic below. These are really needed only with some recent Swiss casebacks which are very tight and have no indentation at all. Not an issue with old watches.

Edited by jdm

1 hour ago, VWatchie said:

Depends on who’s opening it too :rolleyes: I recommend this tool for any watch; new and old. Especially if you need to remove bezels as well.

Your is in fact mainly a bezel and bracelet (in a different versions that adds the punches) tool. That is because the blades are sturdy but not sharp, something that is more desirable when there is no initial levering point.

I have the black and green one pictured above, and have used it successfully to lever this off

298414930_Caseback.thumb.JPG.5de29fdf7d8c0e20b5b4b54917843199.JPG

which was impossible with a conventional case knife. It completely removes the risk of slipping, so you can apply much more force in a more controlled way. No marks, on me or the watch. I paid a bit more than 20 Euros for it.

• 2 years later...
On 6/23/2020 at 1:11 AM, VWatchie said:

I got tired getting off bezels and snap-on case backs so I got myself one of these Chinese "Snap Back Watch Case Opener Bezel Remover" on eBay. I've only used it with bezels so far, but it has worked really well reducing the pain and risks to a minimum. I just hate it when I damage myself or my watches. I feel pretty sure it will work just as well with snap-on case backs.

Can anyone tell me what the rod on the right is for on the row of bits. It looks like it should stop the bit from sliding out, but the rod itself keeps dropping out of the hole in the back of the bit.

s-l1600.jpg.332883ac26196f8c8becccf718baa30e.png

I was also given one of these:

10810.thumb.jpg.bd4e9c8d39bb39e01ef000b365a0827c.jpg

Does anyone know the best time to use it? When is it better to use this instead of the other types?

Edited by Waggy

That rod is for twisting the bit to lever the caseback off. But I wouldn't use it that way as it tends to leave marks.

In fact, I don't use this tool as most people would, i.e. turning the big knob and driving the bit under the caseback. The way I use this is to tighten the knob until it is tight, then use a small hammer and tap gently on the back of the bit. This loosen up the big knob a little and I would repeat until the caseback pops off or the knob doesn't seem to loosen with tapping anymore. If that happens, it means that the bit is too thin and is unable to pop the cover off. This is probably when the skinny rod is used to twist the cover off but I don't do that as it can mar the finish. I would then insert my case knife into the crack that has opened up and wedge it off.

The bits are very hard but brittle. Regular inspection and dressing the tips is necessary. 

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Waggy said:

I was also given one of these:

10810.thumb.jpg.bd4e9c8d39bb39e01ef000b365a0827c.jpg

Does anyone know the best time to use it? When is it better to use this instead of the other types?

I have that one too, I use it when I am struggling with the case knife. Use a sturdy case vice and it pops the caseback off with the spring loaded shock system, much like the action of an automatic centre punch.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1