Very weird vintage seiko time issues

I have a seiko 7548-700f that I bought at a flea market for 15 dollars. Very beat up. Heavy scratches on the back near the lugs. Looks like the previous owner didn't know how to take a case back off properly. Last year during a battery change the screwdriver slipped and i hit the coil block. I managed to replace it without trouble. Starting a couple of months ago it started losing time. LOTS of time. I would take it off overnight and in the morning it would be 5 hours behind the correct time. Happens no matter what position the watch is in. I suspect that this is because the hole for the center wheel is not circular anymore. I know this means I need a service but I can not afford one. I am in highschool with no job. I have posted similar threads to this on several different sites, but no one is helpful. They tell me to get a job or to just pay to service it. What should I do? Should I learn to service it myself or is it even worth it?

Hi According cousins uk list this movement is obsolete so a replacement movement like for like seems an up hill task. Both Esslingers and Jules Borel dont have it listed either.  There may be other movements that will replace the obsolete unit.  Or a donor unit from ebay and swap the worn bridge.  I have enclosed the tech sheet for the 7548A 

3128_Seiko 7548A (1).pdf

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, watchweasol said:

Hi According cousins uk list this movement is obsolete so a replacement movement like for like seems an up hill task. Both Esslingers and Jules Borel dont have it listed either.  There may be other movements that will replace the obsolete unit.  Or a donor unit from ebay and swap the worn bridge.  I have enclosed the tech sheet for the 7548A 

3128_Seiko 7548A (1).pdf 1.36 MB · 0 downloads

Would a 7546 plate work? I have a broken 7546 that I got the coil block from.

30 minutes ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

Looks like the previous owner didn't know how to take a case back off properly. Last year during a battery change the screwdriver slipped and i hit the coil block. I managed to replace it without trouble

quartz watches are interesting in that there very intolerant of  foreign objects floating around inside the watch..  Every time somebody takes the back off  and if they don't properly clean the back the dirt and debris are likely to fall inside that will cause an issue. With time not service the lubrication can go bad that's an issue  so at some point in time older quartz watches will require servicing..  Then changing the coil requires partial disassembly and if you weren't super clean with what you're doing the same problem stuff where it's not supposed to be.

31 minutes ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

I suspect that this is because the hole for the center wheel is not circular anymore.

I'm curious about how this happened?

I am in highschool with no job.

then even though you have no job you somehow purchased the watch for $15 so obviously you have a tiny bit of money?

Should I learn to service it myself or is it even worth it?

strangely enough that question only you can answer..

At least there is technical help available servicing guide but  you still require tools  like tweezers something to see with screwdrivers  and  some way of cleaning something. Plus a place to work it has to really nice and clean.

Then even if you had money  where would you take it to get serviced? A lot of shops won't service older quartz watches. They would rather do movement swapping which is not an option here..

7548A.pdf 7548A&7549A.pdf

Just now, JohnR725 said:

quartz watches are interesting in that there very intolerant of  foreign objects floating around inside the watch..  Every time somebody takes the back off  and if they don't properly clean the back the dirt and debris are likely to fall inside that will cause an issue. With time not service the lubrication can go bad that's an issue  so at some point in time older quartz watches will require servicing..  Then changing the coil requires partial disassembly and if you weren't super clean with what you're doing the same problem stuff where it's not supposed to be.

I'm curious about how this happened?

then even though you have no job you somehow purchased the watch for $15 so obviously you have a tiny bit of money?

strangely enough that question only you can answer..

At least there is technical help available servicing guide but  you still require tools  like tweezers something to see with screwdrivers  and  some way of cleaning something. Plus a place to work it has to really nice and clean.

Then even if you had money  where would you take it to get serviced? A lot of shops won't service older quartz watches. They would rather do movement swapping which is not an option here..

7548A.pdf 98.24 kB · 0 downloads 7548A&7549A.pdf 1.08 MB · 0 downloads

I have miscellaneous money from selling things like a camera or a watch or two. I have little experience with servicing movements, and I do have a few basic tools like screwdrivers and tweezers. When I replaced the coil block I took every measure I could to not mess it up. I cleaned my workspace, wore gloves, and was very careful not to touch anything but the coil block. 

57 minutes ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

have seen various service videos from Spencer Klein about the 7548. He said that because seiko didn't put a jewel on the central pivot, the hole becomes an oval with gradual use.

I don't suppose he mentioned how to fix this problem?

The good news is this movement has a lot of metal parts in it versus the modern all plastic watch. This means you have stuff you can clean and the cleaning of metal parts is a lot easier than plastic parts.

Just now, JohnR725 said:

I don't suppose he mentioned how to fix this problem?

The good news is this movement has a lot of metal parts in it versus the modern all plastic watch. This means you have stuff you can clean and the cleaning of metal parts is a lot easier than plastic parts.

The only way to fix it is by drilling the hole out and putting a jewel in place. Essentially adding a jewel.

8 minutes ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

The only way to fix it is by drilling the hole out and putting a jewel in place. Essentially adding a jewel.

First of all it has to be verified that the hole is ovalized, under a loupe or microscope.
And then if it is, a brass bushing can be fitted, which has the advantage of being an easier job (for a competent watchmaker) as the part can be manufactured at the shop, no issue locating a correct size.

• Thanks 1

Just now, jdm said:

First of all it has to be verified that the hole is ovalized, under a loupe or microscope.
And then if it is, a brass bushing can be fitted, which has the advantage of being an easier job (for a competent watchmaker) as the part can be manufactured at the shop, no issue locating a correct size.

Interesting! I thought adding a jewel was the only way. From what everyone has been saying I will not be able to fix this by myself. I will save up for a service.

Just now, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

From what everyone has been saying I will not be able to fix this by myself. I will save up for a service.

That will cost much more of the watch's value and there is an high chance that if your diagnosis is correct, they will return it and you still have to pay an inspection fee. This is the world of watchmaking, either learn yourself, or be prepared to pay big money even for "sentimental value" pieces.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

let's think about this as standard watch repair which is don't jump to conclusions it could be lots of things. Then as pointed out above  other methods of repair. That is after you verify this really is the problem.

5 minutes ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

Interesting! I thought adding a jewel was the only way. From what everyone has been saying I will not be able to fix this by myself. I will save up for a service.

I was looking at this a little different way providing you don't have sentimental value and because you paid so little for it then what do you have the lose trying to service it yourself? That is after you verify that it does not need a bushing or a jewel or something in it looks like it's a straight cleaning then you can do it yourself or at least try and if you break it  what you have the lose?

then I really can't remember from memory but the picture below makes it look like the part is a bushing it comes out more than likely it can be replaced.  Maybe do some research see if anyone will tell us which jewels replace it with  or how they did it  that is providing it does need to be replaced you need to verify that first

https://www.thewatchsite.com/threads/7548-7000-fixup.106097/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnR725 said:

let's think about this as standard watch repair which is don't jump to conclusions it could be lots of things. Then as pointed out above  other methods of repair. That is after you verify this really is the problem.

I was looking at this a little different way providing you don't have sentimental value and because you paid so little for it then what do you have the lose trying to service it yourself? That is after you verify that it does not need a bushing or a jewel or something in it looks like it's a straight cleaning then you can do it yourself or at least try and if you break it  what you have the lose?

then I really can't remember from memory but the picture below makes it look like the part is a bushing it comes out more than likely it can be replaced.  Maybe do some research see if anyone will tell us which jewels replace it with  or how they did it  that is providing it does need to be replaced you need to verify that first

https://www.thewatchsite.com/threads/7548-7000-fixup.106097/

I guess you are right! I'll check it out! Thanks for the link!