Canon pinion tightening

Gents what’s the best way to tighten one of these canon pinions, it seems way too loose and neither of the hands are moving when in place. Cheers for your help once again.

i take it to remove it the centre wheel pinion is driven out from the dial side?

EF288499-1B8B-4A9A-B60D-29639C8413E7.jpeg

20843CB1-2501-4C0C-BA86-6D21F51EA52A.jpeg

1D3189D7-C4FF-482B-BF5C-86A2408ED24F.jpeg

You need to use a staking set and with the right stake tap on the outer barrel of the cannon pinion. You need to put a steel wire in the cannon pinion while doing this so you don’t ‘dent’ it. Be very careful not to over due this as reversing it is not easy. I remember years ago I simply put a hair it the cannon pinion while pushing it on and it worked well. That’s if you don’t have any other options as all.d4971a5e4d649c90485725d1d82da9f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IIRC, the center-wheel arbor has a bit of relief in it where the canon pinion dimple rides. I suspect that the canon pinion is not all the way down on the arbor, i.e., the arbor not well through the canon pinion. You'd best support the bridge side of the center arbor while you tap down the canon pinion. I could be wrong, but that type canon pinion seems to work that way. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel
  • Like 1

Well guys I managed to get it done, my staking set was too small for the canon pinion, at first I tried to see if it wasn’t seated correctly but to no avail so I had to pop it off and use my old vintage canon pinion tool, a couple of quick taps and all is well.
Thanks for the help and advice once again.

image.jpg