Happy Days...(Hopefully)

Well just bought this on fleabay hope it's not a pig in a poke. It's a Turkish railways issue 1940 Official Watch of the Turkish Railways

The first official watch of the national Turkish railways was a chronometer calibre 43 L T1 with a steel case, prominent Arabic numerals and a case back stamped with a raised steam locomotive, the Turkish crescent and the monogram TCDD. A total of 60 such watches were produced and delivered.
as from this quote on the Omega watch press site....

The only thing weird is the back was supposed to be a locomotive I think....but it's not, anyway will show some pics when it arrives.

Obviously not made in the 40's looks more like 70's to me it has a 1026 movement. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Craig

At £140 that would be a good deal assuming it's as described on arrival.  I once sold a Seamaster for around £250 at a watch fair which was an older model,  did not have the proper bracelet (that alone would be worth quite a bit) and had had a very hard life.  So yes indeed Happy days if it's all as it should be,  which I'm sure it will be.

RogerC

• Like 1

At £140 that would be a good deal assuming it's as described on arrival.  I once sold a Seamaster for around £250 at a watch fair which was an older model,  did not have the proper bracelet (that alone would be worth quite a bit) and had had a very hard life.  So yes indeed Happy days if it's all as it should be,  which I'm sure it will be.

RogerC

Fingers crossed Rog!

• 2 weeks later...

Craig, Going through the Omega vintage site I think I may have found your watch (sans dial emblem) what do you think

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database?ref=15133

Also found this expired eBay listing with some info

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/RARE-OMEGA-SEAMASTER-TURKISH-RAILROAD-1020-AUTOMATIC-MENS-WRISTWATCH-/251061759224

And here is a wrist shot of one..

137f9bbcaa5a11e180c9123138016265_7_zpsd5

Edited by ianmedium
  • Like 1

Oh thats wonderful Craig. I think looking around you got it at a great price as well and I love when watches have something unique and exotic about them like that lovely screen print on the dial, a real talking point!

One of the other things I love about vintage or older watches is if they were made within my lifetime what was I doing when the first owner got the watch?

Looking at the Omega page it was made in 1977 so probably was sold that year or a year or two later at the latest. Me, Well I was in Dawlish Secondary Modern enjoying the delights of Mr Tapsons eternally boring mathematics class. 1977's holiday was in Rabac in the former Yougoslavia. Two years later though I was in Turkey, you never know I may have walked past the man who owned this watch! See, thats why i like the older stuff, lets the imagination run rife!