Clock mainspring winder

watchweasol

• 4 months later...

I have tried searching to find this, but I can't find it by description or by brand?

I'm going to have to get something if I plan on getting several of those clocks in my other post.

I am trying to work out how this one operates as I am not sure what the block with the diamond shaped hole is for?

24 minutes ago, Michael1962 said:

I have tried searching to find this, but I can't find it by description or by brand?

I'm going to have to get something if I plan on getting several of those clocks in my other post.

I am trying to work out how this one operates as I am not sure what the block with the diamond shaped hole is for?

The block holds the mainspring barrel the screws are adjusted to open it up for different size barrels.

Hi Michael    the first one was build by Joe Collins for 400 day clocks, they have since been modified for general clocks and are easy to build having build two my self Named Contraption 1 and contraption ll and they work on all clocks except the large fusee clocks with massive springs.  Look up on the net  "Joe Collins Mainspring winder". once having got the bits they take about a couple of days to make, The spring barrel sleeves being the dearest part There are many articals on this topic on the net one on the NAWCC site  Diy Mainspring winders.

On 6/18/2020 at 7:02 PM, watchweasol said:

Available on the bay for around £180.  From Germany.                There you go Moose saved a few quid there.

mainspringwinder 0.jpg

mainspringwinder 3.jpg

mainspring winder 1.jpg

I have one of these, well made, works well.

Haven't quite worked out what the knob on the rear is for.

Bod

20 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Michael    the first one was build by Joe Collins for 400 day clocks, they have since been modified for general clocks and are easy to build having build two my self Named Contraption 1 and contraption ll and they work on all clocks except the large fusee clocks with massive springs.  Look up on the net  "Joe Collins Mainspring winder". once having got the bits they take about a couple of days to make, The spring barrel sleeves being the dearest part There are many articals on this topic on the net one on the NAWCC site  Diy Mainspring winders.

I think it was me who called them contraptions. 

70e6d45d537df0749ab8dafa8db43a27.gif

Absolutely Old Hippy hence the christening,   The thing is they provide a budget solution to the problem of removing mainsprings safely. And I understand your point of view used for what they are the work, but leave the big fusee's to a more sturdy unit or build one to suit.  There  was no Offence taken  thats why they were named Contraption l and contraption ll.

The knob at the rear locks the slide in position with the barrel in alignment with the chuck.