Geiger Counter - and what’s needed to detect radium

2 hours ago, AndyHull said:

Statistically though you could estimate on the balance of probability the likely hood of it doing so.

unfortunately that's the problem with a lot of things we don't always have a clear understanding of what causes certain things one the smoking gun isn't enough to show cause for why somebody got cancer or not. It was also my compromise of avoiding seeing radiation was bad while giving helpful links.

But probably is a wild guess wearing a wristwatch with radiation on your wrist probably isn't that bad overall. But those pocket watches in your pockets not the best place to have radiation. Then for all the people that play with the radioactive material insist on cleaning it off. Or re-looming those hands especially a few of the old kits.I actually have a kit that is labeled radio and yes it is radioactive I was surprised I even have what's a much newer for putting stuff on hands. The slightly previous generation of hands stuff was wax with the loom in the wax you'd heated up and did flow into the hand. Before the modern stuff with the super powders that are not radioactive they mix up with some kind of our initial act or something. So the previous wax stuff I thought was all new enough but one of my kits of wax is also radioactive.

Probably the rule should be don't go out of your way to molest the radium hands and dial and you probably will be okay.

33 minutes ago, JohnR725 said:

Probably the rule should be don't go out of your way to molest the radium hands and dial and you probably will be okay.

Yup. Don't eat the stuff, dispose of it carefully, wear gloves and wash your hands. You should be just fine.

You probably got more exposure from the last banana you ate than you did from wearing a lumed watch for years, which is my excuse to share one of my favourite radiation related graphics once more.

https://xkcd.com/radiation/

radiation.png

This conversation speaks positively to this forum! I asked a radiation question a couple years ago on Watchuseek only to get weird disclaimers from the staff. 

It nice to read open, honest opinions on this subject. Thank you! 

On 6/18/2020 at 11:23 AM, spectre6000 said:

Meanwhile, I live in the mountains just above a Lockheed facility. Lots of top secret stuff, Mars rover bits (I'm told), Titan missiles, and other spooky fun. The guy who lives across the street from me is a 90 year old Bavarian rocket surgeon who retired from that facility. I recall his son in law telling me he holds a patent on a type of radiation detector. Seems applicable given the alpha particle detection conundrum. I may need to poke him and see if he has any prototypes kicking around in a box or something that might be able to solve my steel mystery.

https://patents.justia.com/patent/4104523

No kidding! I currently work for Lockheed in Florida!

9 hours ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

No kidding! I currently work for Lockheed in Florida!

I just sold my old military truck to yet another Lockheed guy. Can't throw a rock around here...

Edit: To finish the colloquialism for the non-American (I'm assuming) English speakers ...without hitting a Lockheed engineer. (The saying is, "you can't throw a rock without hitting a _____" meaning there are a lot of _____ everywhere).

Edited by spectre6000