Beginner Next Watch Movement

Good day, all. 

I've completed Mark's coursework 1-3, and I've torn down and reassembled the ETA/Unitas 6497-1 a few times.  I feel comfortable with the pocketwatch's somewhat oversized components.

Could you direct me to a logical second movement to obtain for practice purposes?  I'm not too familiar with date complications, so I'd prefer it be an equivalent of the 6497 (similar components and no date complication/s), but of wristwatch size.  I would not be adverse to a center seconds hand.   

Thank you as usual. 

Larry. 

1 hour ago, SparkyLB said:

Could you direct me to a logical second movement to obtain for practice purposes?

What is that you like? Get that or similar if too expensive, maybe just not a chrono yet. A complete watch that you can then wear would be ideal IMO, you did good with Mark's and now deserve a reward..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m going to suggest, only because it’s was the first automatic I worked on, a Seiko 6309. They are abundant in basic watches, have a very simple automatic winding mech and pretty straight forward keyless, no unruly springs to ping off into oblivion and unless they are completely beat up you can achieve good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Disclaimer: I'm a deep end guy. I learn to swim on the kitchen floor (read like crazy until I feel comfortable), then just jump in. 

Date complications are tiddlywinks. Nothing to be remotely concerned with. The only thing you might hold off on is something you care about breaking. A chronograph is complicated, but if you're careful and pay close attention, it's not at all impossible.

The approach I backed into mostly because shipping hasn't been all that timely during the pandemic is to fiddle around with what's to hand. I had a collection of crappy old watches that I accumulated years ago; cheap junk, because it's what I could afford in college. Mostly eBay type stuff I thought looked OK at the time, or things that came in lots with other things I actually wanted... That sort of stuff. Nicest and most complicated watch I've messed with out of that lot is a 7S26B Seiko 5 that was broken in a car wreck. Turned out not to be so broken, so I'm actually trying to make it run. Automatic, day, date, center seconds... The only thing that's given me headache is the mainspring barrel was a pain to split and I ended up warping it a bit (I had a spare badly running 7S26C, so lesson learned, part salvaged, moving on), and I roached the hair spring up good. I managed to screw the second hair spring up a bit as well, but I'm not calling it dead yet. The only things that gave me any issue at all are in no way specific or even related to automatic or day/date functionality.

@AndyHull has been playing a game he calls the "404 Club" (I think it refers specifically to a group of watches in his collection, but I'd almost go so far as to advocate it become A Thing™). @FLwatchguy73 and I have been dabbling a bit with the challenge as well. The premise is finding watches for £4.04 (currently $5.08/€4.52) and having fun (it's a hobby after all!). So far, I've managed to score a handful (ten or so) of French and Swiss watches, all fully jeweled (17+)... Well... Mostly... Still waiting on shipping. If I screw any of them up beyond any usability or parts salvageability, I'll be out an absolute max of $15 including shipping. Cheap experience.

That experience moves quickly. The first "modern" watch I dis/reassembled was a Tongji, and I had a **BLEEP** of a time manipulating the shock springs. Last night, I popped the shock springs on and off the Seiko a handful of times with no issues, and first attempt each time. Elapsed working time between the two couldn't have been more than 5 hours (though it's taken me weeks trying to find time with a newborn, two tech professionals working on what has literally become the bandwidth equivalent of an unreliable dial up internet connection, and a pandemic). 

Jump in. Break shit. Learn. Move on.

Edited by spectre6000
  • Like 2

Thank you all VERY much for the detailed answers.  I've looked at the EB8800 and it looks good for what I'm looking for.  On the other hand, the whole "dive in and break stuff" mentality is just fine if the movement is inexpensive.  I just know it's time to get off pocketwatches. 

I'll have a look at the Seiko 6309.

I'm grateful to have a forum that is so helpful.  Thanks a bunch, all! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1