ETA 2824-2 hand wind stuck

Alright ladies and gents, first post here but I plan on sticking around a lot more as this is the first problem (of many more to come I'm sure) I've ran into when fiddling around with a movement.

I opened a 2824 and took off the rotor, auto mechanism and the first wheel to more or less practice on and mess around.  After reassembly it winds freely, but now the hand wind feels like it's jammed in the first position.  Turning it backwards, it clicks but clockwise it is stuck.  I took it back apart and removed the bridge again along with the click, put it back together and same problem.  With the auto bridge off it hand wound fine (actually a lot smoother than normal) but once the bridge and rotor goes on, I can barely turn the crown in the first position.  All other functions are fine.  Is it a meshing problem?

Sounds like ratchet wheel intermediate wheel pushes on the ratchet wheel, check that it's arbour falls into jewel hole. 

Keep turning the rotor clock&anticlock while you are tightening the two screws to the auto bridge.   Good luck

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:09 PM, Nucejoe said:

Sounds like ratchet wheel intermediate wheel pushes on the ratchet wheel, check that it's arbour falls into jewel hole. 

Keep turning the rotor clock&anticlock while you are tightening the two screws to the auto bridge.   Good luck

Well I got it to loosen up following your advice but it is still a lot stickier, and I noticed while winding it the rotor was under tension while doing so.  Looks like a keyless works problem to me?  

And excuse my ignorance for this question but is there any harm in just pulling the auto bridge off completely and running it hand wind?

There is no harm in taking out and running it without the winder-device, why not find and fix the fault though.

I gather it manual winds alright, so keyless is Ok.

A fault may exist in the self-winder device itself, a broken pivot or jewel, worn reversers or the rotor bearing. Also broken jewel to the ratchet wheel reduction wheel which is located on the barrel bridge. 

I would tear down and visually inspect the all autowinder parts. Take pictures in various stages of tear down, comes useful for reassembley also to show us if needed. 

Good luck

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

There is no harm in taking out and running it without the winder-device, why not find and fix the fault though.

I gather it manual winds alright, so keyless is Ok.

A fault may exist in the self-winder device itself, a broken pivot or jewel, worn reversers or the rotor bearing. Also broken jewel to the ratchet wheel reduction wheel which is located on the barrel bridge. 

I would tear down and visually inspect the all autowinder parts. Take pictures in various stages of tear down, comes useful for reassembley also to show us if needed. 

Good luck

I was more curious as to the overall function of the auto mechanism on the watch and if it’s ratios would effect the running, thanks!

I took off the reduction wheel because I noticed the ratchet wasn’t meshing in a certain position when turned and it looked like it was raising up.  on the underside it looks like it was torqued and there is a burr that formed, I will try to take a picture but I don’t have the best phone or macro equipment.  

49F50D68-6AE1-4E23-9F0E-3B2C63FC084D.jpeg

14 minutes ago, FuzzyBuns said:

I was more curious as to the overall function of the auto mechanism on the watch and if it’s ratios would effect the running, thanks!

I took off the reduction wheel because I noticed the ratchet wasn’t meshing in a certain position when turned and it looked like it was raising up.  on the underside it looks like it was torqued and there is a burr that formed, I will try to take a picture but I don’t have the best phone or macro equipment.  

49F50D68-6AE1-4E23-9F0E-3B2C63FC084D.jpeg

Sounds like you found the fault.

Thanks for your insight, it looks like it’s going to have to stay manual wind because the rotor screw shot off into the abyss.  This is my first foray into watchmaking whatsoever so mistakes were made and learned from.  Cheers