Waltham Calendomatic

Do i got this Waltham watch with an fhf 606 movement only problem is I can't take the movement out of the case. It turns but it doesn't come out. It doesn't look like a 2 piece case. I don't see a way for it to come out the front. Any help is appreciated. 41db9343f10b39c56d614e301f2545b6.jpg3b237ace6f780be60e3f0d673d10c867.jpgaf28ec18a57f9386ddbdc78b3116ae09.jpg

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

it looks like the movement is being held in with the casing ring? 

Normally the watches where they go out the front of the one piece case usually the dial side appears to be physically bigger than the backside. yours it appears bigger on the backside that's the way the movement goes out.

With that shaped crystal aperture and no removable bezel, there is no way the movement is a 'front loader'. As said above the casing ring needs to come out first to extract the movement out of the back of the case....

That's what I thought but the movement ring, if it is that, won't budge at all. I've applied some decent force, enough to where I'm uncomfortable applying anymore, and it won't come out. I'm thinking maybe it's really jammed in there and was going to grab a hammer and stake to see if that will move it at all.

as the movement ring formerly held the gasket in place was there any signs at all of moisture?  then the movement ring looks like a really tight one anyway and it's probably relatively thick. So if you that anything that resembles moisture that's going to be bad for getting it out. Then one prying on it it's not just going to pop off on one side you going at the very slowly pry all the way around and raise it to slowly if it will raise at all. Worst-case but extreme caution a little bit of penetrating oil might loosen it up but penetrating oil likes to penetrate and probably will get all over the dial which is not where you want penetrating oil to be.

so let's go for an extremely bizarre thought of fantasy basically. If it went out the front side typically as I said the crystal would be big usually around to take the crystal out the movement falls out. Gore has the possibility coming out sometimes as a ring holding them in. You are crystal is smaller than the back so just taking the crystal out will do you no good and it's an odd shaped crystal it be really hard to just pop out. So if it did go out to the front there would have to be a ring that holds the crystal and it would really be big so if you look on the side of the case is there anything that looks like a super tiny crack all the way around?

No there is no evidence of moisture whatsoever. Yes, as it's easily seen, there is no way it comes out the front. The dial is larger than the crystal. I will then try, as you suggest, to slowly pry it out.

For sure that movement ring should come out. I wonder if someone glued it in position if it's that stuck?! :blink:

I'd try and find something metal and strong with an 'L' shape and a short lower limb of the 'L'. Almost like a very small right angled allen key but where you've chopped the lower 'L' limb down to about 5mm or so. Hook this under the movement ring at the gap the stem enters and apply even upward force.

You might try replacing the movement screws and using them to lever on a bit using narrow jawed pliers. Perhaps that would get you and edge to start up? It's something that I might try, using care of course. You might want to remove the rotor, if it is possible without having the movement out. Good luck.

Edited by MrRoundel

So it is confirmed that whomever had this watch must have used some sort of adhesive on it. Don't you hate it when ignorant people try to fix things?

Well I appreciate the suggestions. I tried using some penetrating lubricant, it forms a shelf in the movement ring so it doesn't seep off and into the other components or the dial, and it seems like did something to loosen it but not enough. Any other suggestions that don't involve a possible breakage of the movement? Acentone maybe? Idk just thinking out loud. Thanks all for everything.

Penetrating oil isn't going to affect the adhesive and I'd be wary of sloshing fluid around in general anyway ... if any of it gets beyond the ring and mars the dial you're going to be kicking yourself.

I can only repeat the advice I've already given. Have you tried this? It's probable a few dabs of superglue were used; it's strong but a shearing force will normally break the bond. Applying upwards force at the gap in the ring should start a break and you continue from there. You won't damage the movement if you're careful but if you're concerned then, as already suggested, you can (part) diassemble ... something you'll be doing anyway since we assume the purpose of your quest is for a service.