Timex Expedition Scout 43- Indiglo failed

After 1 year my Timex expedition Scout 43 Indiglo illumination has failed.  Upon pressing the stem a small light appears below the 6 but the face doesn't light up. 

The watch used to be very accurate never gaining or losing 1 second over several months.  It was really impressive and I thought Timex really does make accurate, high quality watches now unlike when I was a kid (the 60's) when Timex watches never lasted more than a year.  Now, it loses about 2 seconds per day since the Indiglo failed. (I have to assume they're somewhat related).

The battery, CR2016, has been replaced 2 times just to make sure it wasn't a battery problem.

It's out of warranty (as you'd expect)

Is there any practical repair that can be done to get the Indiglo working again?

Thanks,

Peter Dutton

• Like 1

Are you using non-conductive tweezers to handle the batteries? I ask because virtually every time I see a Timex loses Indiglo, yet still works (albeit slow), it has been the battery. Did any of the batteries leak before they were replaced? Battery leakage can do irreparable damage to quartz movements.

If it's not battery related, my gut is that there's nothing you can do for the Indiglo. I suppose it's possible that the Indiglo switch got stuck in the "on" position and is draining the battery in excess of spec. Good luck.

To replace the battery I was using my fingers while wearing plastic gloves.  No, the battery(s) didn't leak.  I had thought that something inside is shorting out and is draining the power and thus the loss of time.

It's pretty frustrating as I thought.....I thought....I'd finally found a nice watch that would last me the remainder of my life and surely the Indiglo would never fail.  Man, was I wrong!

Thank you for the ideas.  'Wish it were otherwise.  The good news is I only paid $18 for it back in BC. Before Coronavirus"......"Before the Collapse".

Peter

Hi Peter and welcome to the forum...        The indiglo watch uses a thin layer of phosphous as the light source a voltage between  150 an 200v AC is applied and the phosphoursr which then emits photons and therefore light . A  1:100 transformer inside the watch converts the low battery voltage to the 150/200v needed to drive the light,  So if the batteries are in good order then the electronics with in the watch have failed  in some way. 

• Like 1

Watchweasol,

A most impressive answer.  That's amazing- 150 to 200 VAC.

Well, my guess is you're right- the light works have failed.  I didn't have much hope in repairing it.  Oh well.

But, thank you for the help.

Regards, etc.

Peter

Hi Peter    there is always ebay  and maybe finding a donor watch which works with a beat up case, long shot but still an option.  Its a shame as Timex are in spite of being berated over quality etc   are a workhorse in the watch world. the analogue part of the watch still work though ?.   The Timex brand still has fan base, and rightly so.