EMRO watch gaining time.

Bod

My step grandson has just inherited this Emro 23 jewel, shockproof, waterproof, antimagnetic, swiss made watch.

It has a gain in time of 9 minutes in every 26 hours.

Being a clock person rather than a watch person, can you help, is there a "slow-Fast" adjustment inside the case?

An idea of the age of the watch, as I can find very little via Google, except that it may be 60's-70's.

221390407_IMG_0130-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.ad8ff70d7d8630b7d5eb0d28cf210d4f.JPG1527105748_IMG_0138-Copy(2).thumb.JPG.e4984500dd15a21f7746a459c595f352.JPG

The markings on the back are the same as the dial, plus it's been "Diamond tooled, electronically tested, and Tropicalized"

Now what is "Tropicalized"?

Disregard the strap, that has been only recently fitted, I don't know what it had before.

Any information will be gratefully received by the grandson.

Thanks

Bod.

1 hour ago, Len33 said:

The first thing to try, is to demagnetise the watch.

How would I go about doing this?

I have an Eclipse 955 demagnetiser, just a case of passing the watch over it a couple of times, or will it need dismantling?

Thanks

Bod.

No need to dismantle.

Pass the watch, side to side, over the demagnetiser for about ten seconds.

Then, slowly distance the watch from the demagnetiser to about one metre distance.........before switching the demagnetiser off.

If necessary, try again. 

Good luck.

Still gaining.

I've removed the back.

965964799_SAM_0007(2).JPG.2f5bee8ec80b4fd72fc0f1ef21024768.JPG

To my eye, there is nothing special to see.

No serial numbers, only "Swiss 23 jewels"

There is a +/- for the hair spring, which I have moved slightly to the -, but too far and the lever interferes with a wheel.

The inside is clean, no rust or dust.

I've retried the demagnetiser, now I just wait to see if any thing changes.

Value wise, I don't think this should be put on the house insurance as a valuable item.  Unless you know different...

Thanks

Bod.

Hi Bod   If its no better have a close look at the hairspring ,   are the coins sticking together during oscillation, is the spring flat and not catching the bridge, is the spring hanging up in the the reculator ( no moving between the pins) all these will affect the timing .

As demagnetising didn't provide a cure, the hair spring would be the area to concentrate on, first.

As it was 'inherited,' it's possible that, in the past, someone had oiled it and a tiny drop of oil has found its way onto the hair spring......causing a coil stick.

(Something that could be easily overlooked)

If you are sure that everything is ok there, then (If mine) I would take the watch apart; clean/lubricate it. 

I've been adjusting the regulator arm, this has now got the watch running less than 4 minutes slow over 24 hours, and is as good as it's going to get, with out a full clean and service. (which is way beyond  my eyesight!)

I do fear despite it being "shock proof" a knock will upset the time keeping.  But at least we know what to do.

Many thanks to all who have replied, you have been a great help.

Bod.