Longines Dial search

Approx. 3 months ago I serviced this really nice vintage longines watch. However the dial was badly stained/aged. The big mistake I made is I tried to clean it and if anything I just made things worse as some of inscription came off !!!. Anyway tale of woe over. Since then I have been searching for a replacement even a damaged one with absolutely no success. By any chance does anyone have any ideas where I could find a replacement. The dial size is 29.45mm

IMG_5497.thumb.jpg.7f38e176bcdb3a3ae2db65cb2dc2d811.jpg

I take it you have looked at all the normal places. It might mean you have to have the dial restored which will coat a lot. Have you tried longines  direct to see if they can help. Many years ago they used to be very good in helping out, I'm talking back in the 70's and 80's don't know about today. 

4 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

I take it you have looked at all the normal places. It might mean you have to have the dial restored which will coat a lot. Have you tried longines  direct to see if they can help. Many years ago they used to be very good in helping out, I'm talking back in the 70's and 80's don't know about today. 

I will try longines. I have tried all of the usual but no luck.

21 minutes ago, FLwatchguy73 said:

I'm sure this one cost more than the entire watch, but It may be worth it for you. What model is the movement? Can help narrow down which dial.

Thanks watch guy. Unfortunately that one is not the same design. As far as the price quoted goes that is about right, and the customer is willing pay the going rate. 

3 hours ago, rodabod said:

Is this for a 12.68?

This movement is a 12.68ZS. However it is a 12 ligne caliber longines movement that also has variants with minor differences between 12L, 12.68N & this 12.68ZS.

It looks very similar to the dial used on the Longines 30LS, although I'm guessing the dial posts are in different positions or the dial is slightly different size.

He is my 30LS

The second hand is not correct on my watch it should be like the one in your photo above.

dial.jpg

Edited by Tmuir

4 hours ago, Tmuir said:

It looks very similar to the dial used on the Longines 30LS, although I'm guessing the dial posts are in different positions or the dial is slightly different size.

He is my 30LS

The second hand is not correct on my watch it should be like the one in your photo above.

dial.jpg

I would say that is it if the dial is 29.45mm then it is a match.

17 hours ago, clockboy said:

I would say that is it if the dial is 29.45mm then it is a match.

I've not uncased this movement yet and don't want to until I need to service it so can't properly measure the dial, but holding the vernier over the crystal the dial has got to be pretty close to that measurement, but I can't say for sure.

Uncased 30LS movements do turn up from time to time, but I've not seen one with a dial yet.

I'm on the lookout for the correct second hand for mine, if you do end up finding a movement with dial and it has hands I would be interested in buying the second hand off you.

Looking at the movements

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Longines_12_68ZS

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Longines_30LS

12.68ZS diameter is 27.5 and the 30LS is 30mm, but the dial holes in the movement look further in from the edge on the 30LS, but flicking backwards and forwards between the 2 movement pictures the holes look to be a couple of degrees offset from each other, so I'm not sure the dial from a 30LS would fit a 12.86ZS

I have noticed this before with "ranfft" the pics shown are not always correct. The pic for the calibre LS is showing the calibre L. I did google and the LS movement looks the same as the ZS. Having said that the chances of getting one is now slim. Longines have been in contact and they suggest getting then dial refurbished. I have had a quote £140 ex. postage. If it was my watch I would go ahead as it is really nice Longines watch with a 9ct gold case and strap. BUT !!!!

I personally don't think it looks bad as it is and I absolutely love those expanding bracelets. Excalibur 49 or 50 if I'm not mistaken. Did'nt think £140 was bad for a refurbished dial. The trouble is any you might find on line etc will probably be as bad if not worse than yours.