Longcase Clock Movement, 8 Day C1760, Jos Vale, Walsall

JohnB

Hi

Quite new to this and looking for some help and pointers

After successfully repairing a Jerome Clock (which now runs a treat) I have got hold of a Longcase Clock Movement, 8 Day C1760, Jos Vale, Walsall

I have mounted it in the case and now need 3 things (I think)

• A bell as that’s missing
  • A pendulum - really need help here as there seem to be so many variety’s around
  • Weights - research suggest that many of these older movements require 3 weights, mine clearly needs just the 2 but what weight the weight should be I have no idea

I have added some pics

Is there anywhere online I can see how the weights attach ?

Thanks in advance

Regards

John B

IMG_9275.jpg

IMG_9276.jpg

IMG_9277.jpg

You can pick up a bell from ebay, loads of them about, the same with the pendulum about a 4 inch, the same with the weights around 12lb as you say you need two. I’m enclosing a photo how they are attached, you need two weight hooks these you can get from any good clock/watch material suppliers. If you wanted you could get it all from a supplier, I do not advise this as it will not fit in with the clock. The clock dial has a part missing, do you have the part?

download.jpg

thanks, very helpful

I do have the missing part so its complete, I have found weights and a bell and weight hooks. Im struggling with the pendulum I can find quite a variety It needs to fit through the crutch and up onto the bracket so needs to be quite long etc, i guess we should not mention suppliers on the forum but any pointers appreciated

Regards

John

At the top of this forum you will see Resources, click on that and you will see a list of countries, click which country you live in, you will then see a list of suppliers from that country, many on here use Cousins here in the UK.  You can mention suppliers if you want, no harm done. Don't for get the suspension spring for the pendulum. If you need more help just ask.    

thanks I have contacted a supplier and they were helpful - pictures have been sent, so lets see what happens

On the front of the clock face plate it says jos vale, Walsall - a google of the name revealed nothing ?

Regards

John B

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.