Piaget bumper???

Morning all

I was wondering if anybody could shed any light on this movement if possible. The watch dates from around the 40s or 50s and I’m not sure if this is period correct for this watch. I have seen similar looking watches housing an AS1250 movement stamped Piaget but this looks to be different. My inital guess is this has lots of replacement parts but I’m no expert so was wondering if someone could help.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAdjustments.jpgAdjustments.jpg

That appears to be an AS 1171 which would fit with the your dating i.e. produced up to about the mid-1940s.

Looking at Ranfft does gives production for the 1171 spanning 1935 to 1945 whilst for the 1250 it's 1940 to 1953. If you've seen similar watches to yours sporting the latter it would indicate yours is an early model that used the earlier movement.

That appears to be an AS 1171 which would fit with the your dating i.e. produced up to about the mid-1940s.
Looking at Ranfft does gives production for the 1171 spanning 1935 to 1945 whilst for the 1250 it's 1940 to 1953. If you've seen similar watches to yours sporting the latter it would indicate yours is an early model that used the earlier movement.

That would make sense as I have been told the printing on the dial “fab sussie” would be indication of an earlier model. Thanks for your help it’s much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Out of interest what condition is the dial in given the age of the watch? The case, at least from the back, looks to be pretty tidy.
BTW this is a good set of pics relating to a service of an AS 1171 you might be interested in: https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=3006

Yes the case has only a tiny dint on the back of one of the lugs but apart from that it has only light scratches and I also believe that it’s unpolished but I’m not expert. I’ve attached a picture of the dial and would love to hear your opinion on it.

Cheers & thanks for the link to the AS1171 service

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkAdjustments.jpg

Ah ... so it's actually an AS 1172 as it has a sweep hand rather than a sub-second hand. Same movement in the main as the 1171 though.

The dial looks amazingly fresh ... the first thing that stands out is that the Piaget Automatic script looks a lot fresher than it has any right to on a 75 year old watch! But it could just be that Piaget used good quality materials and that, based on the good condition overall, this watch has only been used on special occasions and kept in a dry dark place normally that preserved the dial.

Nice watch. :)

Ah ... so it's actually an AS 1172 as it has a sweep hand rather than a sub-second hand. Same movement in the main as the 1171 though.
The dial looks amazingly fresh ... the first thing that stands out is that the Piaget Automatic script looks a lot fresher than it has any right to on a 75 year old watch! But it could just be that Piaget used good quality materials and that, based on the good condition overall, this watch has only been used on special occasions and kept in a dry dark place normally that preserved the dial.
Nice watch. [emoji4]

Oh interesting. I have sent some pictures to Piaget to see if they have any information on the watch as I don’t even know the reference number or anything else about it and would love to have a little more information. I have no reason to believe the dial is a forgery but if it was I wouldn’t even know to be totally honest as the brand & age of the watch are out of my expertise, hopefully Piaget can shed some light on this matter....

There's nothing to suggest anything about this is a forgery.
You might have already come across this in your research: https://watchcharts.com/listing/599135 Same era, same font around edges etc.

Sure, no I have not come across this during my research so thanks for that. it certainly does display a lot of the same traits doesn’t it. I’m having trouble finding out if similar models also have fixed bars between the lugs as mine does but I’m guessing there would be different variations between the models anyway. aesthetically I find the watch very pleasing but until some of these questions have been answered I don’t think I will be able to fully enjoy the piece as I’m a sucker for knowing the history of my timepieces.

Cheers