Elgin 303 Mainspring

Hello again all.

I'm attempting to remove the mainspring from the barrel of an Elgin 303, but it isn't unwinding like in the videos. 

I've tried slowly unwinding it, or pulling out the end, so I can slowly unwind it by hand, but it doesn't seem to want to come out. 

I've seen videos online where people just pull them out, but I thought I'd consult the experts,  before trying that. 

For these older watches,  do you need to just take it all out at once?

Thanks again

A lot of videos show how people cleverly walk a mainspring out this is fine for a wristwatch it's not suitable for pocket watch. The springs at least two or three times as wide it has way more force it has to be pulled out but certain precautions are needed unless you're used to doing it. The arbor has to be removed because you don't want that flying around the room. Typically I  hold it in my hand and pull it out but I've done enough of them and  even though I'm holding in my hand I have my hand under the bench out of my sight just in case it decides to fly away. A better procedure is to remember to put a towel over the whole thing or have your hand buried in a towel just to contain everything.

The definition of flying away? Typically we have a mystery here in that it depends upon the condition of the mainspring. Typically blued steel Springs are set they will open up to a relatively small diameter. But if the spring is in good condition it can have a heck of a lot of force and when you pull the mainspring out all the energy releases. So all The energy released means that a lot of bad things can occur if you're not careful. The definition of flying away is literally that it depends upon how big your room is as to whether room will contain the barrel where it's going to hide after it flies away And is never seen again or if they can escape out an open door. I'll skip over the open door Part although it did make a nice sound that was the barrel bouncing off the door disappearing down the hallway. On the other hand it wasn't a typical pocketwatch mainspring it was slightly bigger.

So while you can wear safety glasses as recommended above. I still prefer that the process take place out of your visual site so do it under the bench. If you're concerned about your hands you can get a glove or hold the barrel with the towel so the towel is between you and the barrel but the whole thing still has to be wrapped up to contain everything doesn't have to wrapped up Tight it just has to be a will contain when all The energies released.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1