high domed crystal vs high domed crystal

Hello Watch and Clockmakers,

i recently serviced a CAL 400 movement and I have one last problem, at least i hope so. The original "crystal" needed replacing but the new one is not high enough and probably does not have the same shape, to say the least it does not have the same wall height around the edge so what happens now that the crystal is pushing the end of my second hand to the minute hand. Cousins have "Domed Extra High, Sternkreuz HH" is this what I supposed to go for, or shall i try another high domed crystal from a different manufacturer? 

Take care and my best regards,

Lui

IMG_20200606_145652.jpg

IMG_20200606_133505.jpg

Edited by luiazazrambo
correcting title

What is the brand of the crystal. That looks like a low dome. I normally use GS crystals and the left one looks like a dive tite or one of “tite” models. Was there a tension ring. I never really order from cousins because shipping takes forever to USA, so not sure what they sell.

Sorry i was not clear, probably even misleading, what i have on the picture are Acrylic Round Domed Watch "Glasses", and i have a set of DPA "glasses" from CousinsUK. What I am planning to do is to buy one "Domed High without Step, Sternkreuz Hw" and a "Domed Extra High, Sternkreuz HH" and compare them. What are GS crystals?

IMG_20200601_145306.jpg

GS is a brand of crystal mainly sold in the US. But they have a really nice variety as well replacement crystals for many watches brands including swiss. You can try some type of diver crystal just remove the tension ring and glue it like you would nornally. Iam not familiar with the crystals you have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...

I compared 4 292 crystals together. An original crystal coming from a case hiding a CAL400 movement from Services, a DPA, a sternkreuz HW and a sternkreuz HH, you can see them in this order on the pictures from the left to the right. I used a cheap but relatively accurate digital caliper to measure the height and diameter of them.

Diameter                               Height

Original Services                 29.1 mm                                4.4 mm

DPA                                     29.11 mm                              3.75 mm

sternkreuz HW                    29.3 mm                                4.0 mm

sternkreuz HH                     29.25 mm                              4.7 mm

ebay_1.thumb.jpg.a674385bfd5aff0de80eaaa5998a5a26.jpg

ebay_2.thumb.jpg.43db190b0d49dcb3facf877494de0e6d.jpg

Edited by luiazazrambo
adding extra info
  • Like 2

The sternkreuz HW made the trick, the second hand is free to rotate now, took me a while - as there are so many other things i have to/want to take care of - , but it was worth it as I again learnt a bit.

ebay_1.thumb.jpg.283436b35f2f1d786760a4d88e85300a.jpg

ebay_2.thumb.jpg.9eae23989cb7277e8663a9512dfe1fdf.jpg

ebay_3.thumb.jpg.a4b4a1b35ffb1f517000f3c3dae0cd3f.jpg

Edited by luiazazrambo
typo correction
  • Like 1