Timex winding stem

I'm having trouble removing the crown off the winding stem of a Timex M27 movement. I've tried WD40, heating it with a torch, but the crown simply refuses to budge.

It doesn't appear to have any screw threads. Could it be friction fitted?

Any suggestions? 

20200606_110058.jpg

2 hours ago, JerseyMo said:

I should have the part in stock.  What is the dial code printed below the 6 hour?

Thanks for the kind offer JerseyMo.

I picked up a compound slide a couple of weeks ago. This winding stem would be a simple project for me to break in my new toy. :D

8 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Thanks for the kind offer JerseyMo.

I picked up a compound slide a couple of weeks ago. This winding stem would be a simple project for me to break in my new toy. :D

sure new toys are fun. let us know how you progress with the repair.

I made some progress. I managed to get the old crown off by wedging the stem into the V shaped groove of a staking block and using 2 big screwdrivers as levers to lift the old crown off. Now all that is left for me to do is drill out the threads of a new crown and superglue the winding stem in. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

20200611_214525.jpg

• Like 1

Wow. This 'simple project' is really fighting me all the way. No wonder JerseyMo's reply had a sprinkling of cynicism and skepticism. 

I got a new crown. The pipe was a little long. No problem, I filed it down.

The case tube was too big for the new crown. No problem, I put it in the lathe and cut the hole in the washer bigger. 

Then the oring in the crown was too small. I managed to get the crown washer out and got a new oring that fits. 

The only thing left was to drill out the threads and glue the winding stem in. :woohoo-jumping-smiley-emoticon:

Yeah. Right. The tungsten carbide drill bit broke in the hole. :pulling-hair-out:

20200617_100846.jpg

1 hour ago, HectorLooi said:

Yeah. Right. The tungsten carbide drill bit broke in the hole.

Looks like it can be pulled out. Carbide is not a good choice for a soft and catchy material, it would have to spin real fast with that small diameter. Better a regular HSS bit driven by hand. 

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, HectorLooi said:

Wow. This 'simple project' is really fighting me all the way. No wonder JerseyMo's reply had a sprinkling of cynicism and skepticism. 

the hard learned lessons are the best teachers. but they suck to have to live through!  Maybe I'll put that on a t-shirt!

• Haha 2

Thanks JerseyMo. This is a '75 Telephone Dial Marlin. (26961 02775)

The case is in pretty bad shape. Almost all of the gold plating is gone. Even the underlying nickel layer is gone in some places. But the dial and movement are ok.

I don't think this watch can be restored to a state that I would wear it. I'll eventually turn a new stem for it when I have the time. But thanks again for the offer.

I managed to drill out the broken tungsten carbide tip with a diamond bur in a dental highspeed handpiece. But when I tapped the stem in to test it, the pipe split open. 

Looks like I'll put this on the back burner for now.

20200618_090806.jpg