As 1882

rogart63

Having trouble with a serviced AS 1882 . This watch is only making a lot of trouble . At first i bought it and it didn't work so very well . Tried to service it but it didn't go so well . Something wasn't right  . Could get the part together . So i bought a nice looking watch with the same movement cheap . That movement is now serviced and running strong . It works ok in the timegrapher . But the hands won't follow the movement . The hour and minute hands stops or is slow . But the second hand works and keeps ticking .  I will soon get an old movement that missing some parts .Which i have from the first movement . Going to get that movement serviced and see if i can get it to work in the other nice looking watch . What is the trouble with hands ? 

Edited by rogart63

+1 for Geo's reply - I've had this problem with a number of movements over the years. Slow or wobbly and unpredictable movement in the minute hand - corrected by either tightening or replacing the cannon pinion.

Hi Rogart, I have become abit of an expert on the AS movements after purchasing a Mido with a similar problem, 3 movements later I got it working!. It is the small gear on the end of the Large driving gear that needs to be tightened. Its part number 201/1. The Canon pinion is driven from that along with the date change mechanism. Cousins have the parts list if you search for AS1882.

• Like 1

Actually suspected that  gear . What should i search for on Ebay ? Cannon pinion tighten tool ? .

Canon pinion tool would do it there is one here in this lot , it is the tool in the top left hand corner of the box ebay item no 191502866512

Edited by Andyclient

Here's mine, it's a set of wire cutters that I have drilled and tapped to accept a screw to limit the amount of squeeze that you give the pinion.

3e84a18e-f89f-4eed-a84c-27cdb221c3ba.jpg

If you go this route it is easy to make very small adjustments at a time until you get the correct fit. It can be done without using a drill or a mandrel in the pinion if you are very careful, but it is a lot safer to use one. Remember, this is a trial and error fitting exercise to get the best fit.

• Like 5

If you have a staking set there should be a stake or a stump that would work.    BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO OVER DO IT.   broaching the whole out after it has been dimpled too much is a real pain.   Personally I would use the staking set or an actual cannon pinion tightening tool   that in like a mini staking set.  I don’t like the clipper type if the cannon pinion is thin as in the offset cannon pinion type is. It is very easy to destroy it by over-tightening it.    I have attached a photo of the one I use  

Sincerely,

Jim

post-345-0-05140400-1423239206.jpg

I prefer using the cutter style tightener, same as geo's. I find you get the most control and it is nearly impossible to fudge it. I still slide the CP down an old oiler first, but the screw on the cutters make it impossible to crush the CP in any case.

I will defer to you here Mark   putting the CP over an old oiler is brilliant  thank you.    The thin offset ones have always given me trouble.  I have over done a few  :-(

Thanks again for the post

Jim

Have fix the cannon pinion and it has been ticking with some odd hands i had in a box . Just to see if it works ok . Now i can put the datewheel and date mechanism back again . Had to do it a few times and had to support  the wheel from the other side when i pushed it on . Looks a little strange with hands .It's 8 a´ clock 

post-644-0-42820200-1423473661_thumb.jpg