Makers symbol and cal. No id?

I will be back with photo’s as I start to work on it.

I was just hoping that someone would recognize the S inside a square & circle. I have been flipping through the regular sources for manufacturer symbols, but this one didn’t show up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi guys,

This was quickly solved...

Movement was stamped AS 340 on the dial side.

The stamps I saw when opening the watch must have some other meaning than being a manufacturers symbol and cal. Number.

Thanks for all your efforts to help out!

A important thing to remember is companies who call themselves watch makers and proudly marked the watch usually do not make the movements.  the visible name and marking is only who cased up the watch. The movement maker for modern watches it's usually under the balance wheel. Older watches as you found sometimes is on the dial side. Occasionally the makers name might be hidden somewhere else.

Then worst-case is if you have a clear picture of the setting parts and the diameter of the movement there are books that you can look up what they call the fingerprint system because all the setting parts were unique At least in the older watches.

Hi John,

I fully agree with your statements here. What I sometimes find is ”brandnaming” on bridges etc. Where some of the more high-end watch brands try to make it look like the movement is ”their own” by having their name on the part.

But then you quickly realize that what you have is really a ”standard” movement from FHF or similar.

What intrigued me in this case was the rather special ”S in square & circle” symbol plus the number ”730” that must have had some meaning for someone at some time. But I guess that’s gone in the mists of watch making history....

6 hours ago, bsoderling said:

What intrigued me in this case was the rather special ”S in square & circle” symbol plus the number ”730” that must have had some meaning for someone at some time. But I guess that’s gone in the mists of watch making history..

This is a watch repair discussion group usually when people make requests they're trying to identify a watch movement for repair purposes. So specifically I usually give answers for purposes of identification for repair.

Then before I answered the question I looked in the bestfit book. Am attaching the section of the book that covers symbols your symbol might be here they're not always alphabetical casually looking I didn't find it. This is by no means all of the symbols this is only from the time that the book was published in the 60s and it definitely does not cover every single symbol ever made in existence.

If you looking for historical data it would probably be best to find a watch collectors group and see if they can help.

Bestfit Encyclopedia symbols.pdf