ChrisL

My Vintage Oyster

I love a good vintage watch and I was quite happy to get hold of this one. Yes - the dial is a bit shabby and the hands but I don't think I will do anything with that as I think it adds character to the watch - it is vintage after all.

I understand that these Oysters were made before Rolex took over - am I wrong? Does anyone have any information in it?

post-3-0-36245900-1356109543_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-62849200-1356109546_thumb.jpg

post-3-0-47150600-1356109549_thumb.jpg

@ChrisL.  From what I was able to find, Oyster is a brand of waterproof watch that was made by Rolex.  It was given the name Oyster by the Rolex company in 1926 because it was the first waterproof watch!  I imagine that a little more research could tell you what year it was made and how old it is!  I don't now that I would trust it for it's waterproof-ness if it were my watch, but that's just ,me being overly paranoid probably.  It's certainly beautiful.

http://www.rolex.com/about-rolex/rolex-history/1926-1947.html

That is a beautiful watch. Gorgeous warm patina on the dial and original hands....NOT shabby my friend! what is the size of the watch? Any movements pics? I am a nut for the movements....gotta see the MOVEMENT!

JC

Edited by noirrac1j

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By oldboy
      I am considering selling leather watch straps, but I have a question before I blindly go ahead and produce a bunch of them.
      I am wondering if anybody who has worked in the industry for a while can tell me what the most common sizes are of strap pins or lug widths?
      I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
      Anthony
    • By x83
      I was given a 1973 seiko lord matic (5600-9001) recently and I am very fond of it. The acrylic is in pretty good condition and the case isn't too scared up. There are only 3 problems with the watch. First, the case is a little bit dirty between the lugs. Second it gains about 15 seconds a day. Thirdly, the original bracelet is too small, so I tried to replace it and found that one of the spring bars is stuck. I don't really know what to do with the watch so I came here to get some advice. Should I take it to a local  jeweler, send it to the seiko service center (probably a bad idea), or try to work on it myself? If there is anyone on the site that is able to work on the watch I would consider that as well.

Thanks in advice for any advice.0
    • By PaulnKC
      All,

I have acquired what I believe to be a WW II era wristwatch.
      It was "made" (offered?) by Mulco. The movement is an FHF 150 (with sweep wheel/center seconds). The case is from "ID" (which is why I believe it to be WW II era).
      Here is the face - still cased...

Here is the inside of the case back...

The dial side uncased...

And the back (uncased)...

I am not familiar with this movement at all. It's the first time I have seen an FHF. It's also the first time that I have seen (in person) a movement with a sweep wheel.

I have ordered the Bergeon/Presto puller for odd number spokes. I assume there is isn't anything too strange with these old center-second movements other than the sweep wheel (removal and replacement).

But would appreciate any info, cautions, warnings etc. that I might need if attempting to service myself. It's not a family heirloom or anything, but I don't want to kill a vintage movement.

Also curious about watch itself if anyone knows anything about the original Mulco company and it's watches.

Kind Regards,
      -Paul

• By rduckwor
      A vintage Elgin 15/0, Gr 559.  I took it down, cleaned and lubricated it and it is gaining 15 minutes/24 hours.  I have looked at the HS, it appears to be perfect, clean, flat, not magnetized (de-magged the movement X 3 already), and in position between the regulator pins.  Not hung on the center wheel.  Correct mainspring, and balance is not knocking.    I do not remember amplitude, but IIRC, it was above 22 which is O.K. by me with the movement.  Please give me some ideas as to how to correct this.  It doesn't seem like there are enough timing washers in the world to slow this down!

Thanks,

RMD
    • By Michael1104
      Anyone know a supplier that would have orient watch parts. In general orient doesn’t supply parts I guess and it’s been hard to find on eBay. I have an EM60 repair. The crystal was damaged and whatever damaged it burned through and burnt the inner bezel and I cannot find a bezel with the same markings. Any help would be awesome.