Wes1946

I just began this journey, ordered a tool kit from Esslinger, watched countless videos on you tube, and graduated myself to a level of ‘ready to disassembly tech’.  This was not a good move.  I grabbed an older Chinese CTI tourbillion and proceeded with my task at hand.  Before long I had the watch apart.  So any small parts I could barely see.  I proceeded to begin cleaning same and this may have been the beginning of my problems.  Everything wen refine until I began removing the balance wheel assembly.  The spring removed itself from the Rest of the piece.  I could go on but why?

So now I have this watch in 1000 pieces and no useable balance wheel.  Can’t find any reference numbers to Help me orders new wheel assembly or info that might help me reassemble.  I know the watch isn’t worth the trouble or the cost of a replace,met  balance wheel but am thinking (scary) that it will be helpful to me to reassemble all parts.  YouTube always make things look so easy.

Any advice is always appreciated but no comments on my sanity please as I already know.

Wes

Hi Wes and welcome to the forum   Not the right watch to start on I am afraid,  I should lay hold of some simple/robust Russian movements, available at low cost therefore any damage done is low value, the chinese Tourbillion  is not easy as you found out and also parts/tech information is scarce. Another good starter is the Seiko range, plenty of spares and plenty of tech information. Put it down to experience and move on        all the best

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WES1946 said:

I grabbed an older Chinese CTI tourbillion and proceeded with my task at hand.

I'm pretty sure that you ain't got a "Chinese tourbillon" because that (ST8240) reatails for $1,700, still a fraction compared to Swiss. You mov't is some common "open hart blance" or other flashy contraption. However it was  good to start with because being cheap or free, it taught you that parts for Chinese are not available, and things are not as easy as they seem. Good luck with your future endeavours!

• Like 1