Mindboggling

I find it mind boggling that people will pay this sort of money for a 7750. In the same listing you have the same exact movement for a fraction of the price. People have no clue what inside of a watch these days. 9fee507362a03afa65008df63b3a9d6a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, bjd1020 said:

I find it mind boggling that people will pay this sort of money for a 7750.

That is only an asking price, it's common to see exaggeratedly high ones for any kind of item. If you want the see the actual going price search for completed sales.
Anyway to me paying more than $1,000 for a 7750 watch just because is made by a sub-brand of the other one that makes mature men drool is craziness already. I have for sale an nice Swiss, brand new 7750 from a popular but not-so-lucky maker and it will be hard to less for $800.

3 hours ago, bjd1020 said:

I find it mind boggling that people will pay this sort of money for a 7750. In the same listing you have the same exact movement for a fraction of the price. People have no clue what inside of a watch these days.

Maybe I misunderstand your post. "Normal people" don't by a watch primarily for its movement. What matters is the brand and what it looks like. You can buy a new Breitling for $4000 housing an ETA 2824-2 (albeit decorated and chronometer).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

You can buy a new Breitling for $4000 housing an ETA 2824-2 (albeit decorated and chronometer).

Breitling, like IWC and others that I don't care to mention here is another  notorious "overcharger" which bases sales on active lifestyle sponsorships and advertising - they deliver little innovation beside casemaking. Most people would not even care to know that for the same money you can buy a bespoken automatic watch, designed and produced  in house during this decade.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VWatchie said:

"Normal people" don't by a watch primarily for its movement. What matters is the brand and what it looks like

What I find interesting is on the other end of the price scale. Five dollar plastic quartz watches in cases that somebody spent a couple hundred dollars for because they like the way it looked or the like the brand name and they don't care because nobody bothered to tell them that their watch inside is worth five dollars. After all If your A watch salesman why would you tell someone what's inside the watch your there to make money.

• Like 2

What I find interesting is on the other end of the price scale. Five dollar plastic quartz watches in cases that somebody spent a couple hundred dollars for because they like the way it looked or the like the brand name and they don't care because nobody bothered to tell them that their watch inside is worth five dollars. After all If your A watch salesman why would you tell someone what's inside the watch your there to make money.
Exactly. Maybe thats more the point I was trying to make. I dont think people understand the differences in terms of value that goes inside the watch they are wearing. The history on the whole watch movement industry from the 50s to now with the consolidation is quite a story.

That is only an asking price, it's common to see exaggeratedly high ones for any kind of item. If you want the see the actual going price search for completed sales.
Anyway to me paying more than $1,000 for a 7750 watch just because is made by a sub-brand of the other one that makes mature men drool is craziness already. I have for sale an nice Swiss, brand new 7750 from a popular but not-so-lucky maker and it will be hard to less for $800.
Id say once you get past $1000 unless the watch has gold or diamonds youve pretty much exceeded the value of the best 7750s in my opinion.

The whole question of price is based on brand names, the bigger the brand the greater the price. The same can be said at the other end of the scale  the greater profit is a cheap movement in a flash big brand case. The average watch buyer knows nothing about the mechanics of the watch only that it carries an in you face  big brand and by that has street cred. But as Old Hippy says its their money and if they want to spend it on a flash watch with no guts that's their problem. They only get disapointed when it stops and Mr watchmaker  tells them it cant be fixed and the answer then is I paid £££££s for that watch. Up till then is just bling on the wrist.

• Like 1