Rolex 1570 with date issues

Hi,

Its been a long time since I posted anything but I've ran into an issue that's a little different. I'm repairing a Rolex datejust with a 1570 movement. The watch has been exposed to a lot of moisture. The date ring itself is discolored and paint is separating from it. I have obtained a replacement. Now the issue is the date seating ring has some rust.  Two of the screws that hold it in place were badly rusted but I was able to remove them.  The real issue is one of the tabs on the date seating ring that hold the calendar ring in place has rusted and is preventing the calendar ring from moving properly. I have looked for a replacement part and it is expensive and hard to find.  The ones I have seen seem like they might have the same problem. I was wondering if it is possible to knock out the rusted tab and replace it with something? There is a hole underneath the seating ring where the tab is so I'm assuming it is just friction fitted. Any ideas would be much appreciated, especially if anyone has dealt with this issue before.

Thanks,

Charles 

Hello C k, been nearly two years, time flies whan you are chasing bears or the bear chases you. lol 

Good thing you are in lathe country, lathe pays for itself really.

Has the rust pitted the groove, I am thinking if sand paper can do the trick, fine grade sand paper if used almost down to the paper makes a good buffer for the finish.

You said " replace it with something else" what do you plan to use instead? 

Can you camera accesss to show the rusted area. 

keep safe.

Here are a few pictures. It may be hard to see but the tab in question is at around the 14 or 15 date marker. I'm using the old calendar ring to show the original rust. I have found a solution by the way. What I did was use the old date ring and held it and rotated it around the seating ring. I finally felt a bit of resistance near the rusted tab. I then held the ring sideways and used a microscope and found a bit of build up near the jewel under the tab.  I took a toothpick and cleaned it out and now it seems like it will work. I still don't like that rusted tab as I'm afraid that it may give way eventually. 

I do log in once in awhile to see if I can be of any help to anyone but most of the time others have already answered the questions. I should still make notes of what I run in to as it could  be helpful to others but once I get involved in things I forget.

Thanks everyone,

Charles  

DSCN3964.JPG

DSCN3965.JPG

By expensive you mean about $160? I notice one on eBay when I did a search it looks like it's in a really nice condition.

When I was looking for your part online I did find one missing the discs? This implies that they come out perhaps. The Rolex parts listings are weird because the 1570 refers you back to the base caliber of 1530 neither listings indicate this ring? But if you go to the 15 75 which has a base caliber 1530 the ring is there. So on that listing where we can see the ring you can see the other part that I highlighted the stud and I think that's what you're looking for.

In any case if that's your problem and you  don't want to pay to get a replacement then I would push it out and see if you can polish it.

Rolex 1575.JPG

• Like 1

Hi,

Thanks John, Just wondering where you found this part? I had already checked on Jules Borel site through the 1530, 1560 and 1570 and found nothing. Went back and checked 1575  there and still no luck. I had thought of pushing it out and rotating it around to get more coverage of date ring with the stud but it's so thin and rusted I was afraid that it would just fall apart. If picture were better you would see that instead of a small arc of the stud covering the date ring there is just a small piece of it left in that area.

Thanks.

It would really be nice to have a PDF service manual but they don't exist or at least I don't have one. Attaching the parts manuals for the 1575 and 1575 GMT. Here's where things get really confusing then I have a link for the 1575 GMT where it has the stud Holder. But I also have some text below because the stud holder is also the thing that holds the hairspring. That's why has a screw associated with it and the only reason I'm pasting that below so that if you find those numbers you know what therefore and don't get confuse like I'm getting confused.

Then I was looking at the best fit online and they had another number the 7958 which agrees with our PDF. Of course they have a different name for the part which makes things confusing. Then that part number cross references to four separate Rolex movements.

So currently on eBay and looking at a part titled 1525-7958  Stud for Date Indicator $45 for several of them it looks like the part in the horrible parts list picture. So my best guess for what it's worth is that is probably what you're looking for. So unless you push out the one you have the verify that it looks similar and possibly were still guessing.

Then I'm being really bothered by something so the first link below Rolex 1570. But according to the variations over on the right-hand side the 15 75 has the date. That would explain why can't find calendar parts for the 1570 because the calendar parts would be for the 1575 In which case if that's the case then the part is the correct part.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Rolex_1570

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=ROL_1575_GMT

ROL 1570    MIS/2018    8103    STUD HOLDER  hairspring
ROL 1570    MIS/2149    7978    STUD HOLDER  screw for 8103 as a guess

ROL 1575    AUT/4250    7958    DATE DIAL

AUT/4250   Factory Number:7958
ROL 1525
ROL 1565
ROL 1565 GMT
ROL 1575

Rolex_Rolex 1575GMT NEW.pdf Rolex_Rolex 1575 NEW.pdf