ETA Running Problem

Hi

I have a ETA 2801-2 that runs reasonably well when it is on a full wind : Amplitude-232,  Beat error - 1.0, Rate- +10sec.  with the regulator in the central position. After appx. 15 hours the numbers are as follows: Amplitude-198, Beatt Error-2.5, Rate- +30sec. I would appreciate suggestions as to what might be the problem. I'm thinking maybe it is a Mainspring problem.

Thank you,

Tony

29 minutes ago, spiro13 said:

Hi

I have a ETA 2801-2 that runs reasonably well when it is on a full wind : Amplitude-232,  Beat error - 1.0, Rate- +10sec.  with the regulator in the central position. After appx. 15 hours the numbers are as follows: Amplitude-198, Beatt Error-2.5, Rate- +30sec. I would appreciate suggestions as to what might be the problem. I'm thinking maybe it is a Mainspring problem.

Thank you,

Tony

Tony,

It likely just needs a service and new mainspring. That amplitude is on the lower side.

I too agree with the others. A service, a new mainspring and regulating it would likely get your watch in perfect order. For a top notch modern movement like your ETA calibre 2801-2 the B.E. shouldn't be more than about 0.3 ms.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I didn't think there were any gauges under 0.1  .  I do like the old art deco tanks which are small sizes. My staff stash amounts to around half a mil. So i think I probably have that base covered. This 0.1mm set seems to be the most expensive, larger 100 piece set are about half the price. For around a 100 quid you can have sizes from 0.1 up to 4mm. Bugs me that they charge shipping for each seperate item so no combined shipping fee available. 
    • Yes, I understand that indeed.   Which is exactly what I am lacking, as I said. That's why the ring diameter matters to me.   That matches my anecdotal observation indeed. It could be the material or the modern backward curve that provides more power.   This is an interesting topic!  While these old oils were maybe thinner, their friction-reducing effect may still actually be lower than modern (even thicker oils), no? I man, some old, thin, organic oil may be less effective in reducing friction than a modern, thick HP1300 or so. What do you think?
    • Here are a couple of pictures of the tool that I mentioned in my first reply: Got the picture from here: https://klocksnack.se/threads/hobby-hörna-hemma-verktyg-tips-och-trix.163821/#post-4291582
    • Yep seen this tool before but never for sale. I bet there aren't many that aren't broken.
    • There is a tool for this, if you can find one. It's called an Obama Jewel Hole Gauge. It consists of a finely tapered pin which you push into the hole as far as it will go. The pin then pushes back into the body of the instrument until the jewel is against the tip. The hole diameter can then be read off the scale in 0.01mm increments down to 0.05mm. If you could find a suitably fine tapered pin there's no reason why you couldn't improvise by marking where the jewel sits on the taper and then measuring it with a micrometer. In practice though if you are replacing a jewel you could always just measure the pivot that is going to run in it.