Water in electronic LCD watch (Takara Transformer)

Hello everyone,

I’m very new to taking apart/repairing watches but I came across a Takara Transformer watch that I thought was pretty fun. I hope spending time on a silly watch like this isn’t insulting to all of you pros! 

The watch doesn’t run, although with a new battery you could see portions of the clock time. It seems that there is water in between the two pieces of glass that the LCD is in. 

I’ve had it submerged in rice for about a week now and some of the water has come out, but it’s slowed almost to a halt. 

I don’t know how to get the glass apart without causing damage, and everything I’ve read online about getting glass apart involves either heat or ice cold water. Can I put this piece into the freezer? Or under hot water to try to get the two pieces apart? 

Any advice on what I should do would be amazing! I’ve added an imgur album below. 

https://m.imgur.com/a/vbF3RV6

1C025245-B537-417C-A9E7-636088CB99BA.jpeg

42BD0B02-8D33-46AC-ABEF-B38172CCB7F6.jpeg

99CB1373-9F24-4B9D-8D39-D159298C81AD.jpeg

2E302A9D-876A-41B0-904C-86E8DB5D203E.jpeg

E39BC978-BEA8-406A-8308-1888AD54B6A9.jpeg

44A7EB0A-E7F4-46B1-BBF0-9CC6AA7F7F29.jpeg

CEEB9B95-7003-42C9-B977-C1BA4BA1CDB8.jpeg

0F4E64F4-D39C-4103-9FBF-1ECFD46AB7ED.jpeg

Hello and welcome to the forum.            Splitting the crystal display unit for the layman is probably a no no , best to source a new display .   You could try leaving it in the rice and putting it in the oven and warming it up as a last resort.  best of luck.

If you have a hot water system storage cylinder cupboard, leave it in that for a few days.  The heat is gentle and dry and may help drive out the water.  Could also leave it near the boiler which also get nice and warm.  If it dries out and works again, you could carefully put the thinnest layer possible of epoxy around the edges to seal it up.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:38 AM, watchweasol said:

Hello and welcome to the forum.            Splitting the crystal display unit for the layman is probably a no no , best to source a new display .   You could try leaving it in the rice and putting it in the oven and warming it up as a last resort.  best of luck.

Would I need to get the same LCD from another Takara watch? Or can I find LCDs like that in other watches and use that?

and if so, any ideas on how to go about finding one?

I would assume  that the watch company would have standardised the display units across a range for production,  so Its take a chance picking up another Takara, If you can find one the same model spares or repair with a good screen ok,    but a word of warning on that score, the display/LCD is usually the reason it up for repair so the need to check it out is paramount before buying.